Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm searching for whole cuts of meat some with bone and I found a good priced butcher nearby(currently I drive 1 1/2 hour round trip to my pet carnivore). They said they could do necks, various organ meats but they have rib tips at 1.99/ pound right now. My guys get mostly chicken right now so I was wanting to get something different for them. Is this something that anyone else feeds? I have large dogs so the only concern I have now is they may be small?! Any info would be great! Also is fresh pork a concern as far as parasites? Should I freeze it first?

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
I haven't seen anything called that here, but I'd assume they made the "tip" by cutting through the bone. You don't want to feed machine cut bone. It's more likely to cause injury. I do get "country style ribs" that are machine cut, but I cut the bone out and feed the meat off of it.

While feeding whole ribs you would want to feed a connected set vs a single rib.

Reactions: cld22

·
Registered
917 Posts
There is no concern in the US about commercial raised pork and trichinosis. I feed a lot of pork and I often freeze it first but that is because it's for later meals. I've fed something called rib tips, but I've seen different cuts use that name. Mine was the cartilage ends, they came in long strips. But I wouldn't pay $1.99 for them. I can get pork loin (bone in and boneless), country style ribs and pork shoulders for that price or less. If there are small chunks of harder rib bones I'd probably pass on it. The softer ends are fine.

Reactions: cld22

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have fed fresh pork lots over the years without being frozen. Human grade farm raised pork is fine. Parasites will be in the intestines (with the exception of wild boar) which you aren't going to feed anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts