Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!!

We have a Rhodesian Ridgeback girl, Mocha. Those of you familiar with the breed know that these dogs just love to run! However, our girl Mocha does not enjoy going running with us whatsoever.

We started her training about 8 months ago and have tried to build her up gradually but there is just no improvement. After just a few meters, she stops and flops down on her side. It's not much better when she's off leash running at her own pace; she always lags behind (and I'm a slow runner!!)

It could be a lack of motivation (I started a thread in Dog Training and received lots of helpful tips about training methods etc.) and we will certainly look into that next but before I do anything else, I want to make absolutely sure she is as healthy as she appears! We take her to the vet regularly but maybe it is time to take a closer look at what could lead to a lack of endurance.

I have a vet appointment scheduled for next week; are there any specific tests they can run to see what could be causing her endurance issues? Heart? Thyroids? I am most grateful for any pointers!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I would for sure run some basic baseline bloodwork- Chemistry Panel, CBC, T4 (thyroid). You could splurge for a larger, thyroid panel, if your vet feels she has additional signs. She's a tad young for thyroid issues, but it absolutely can happen at that age. The laying on her side bit worries me, so make sure they listen extra carefully to her heart.

Does she have any other issues? Chronic vomiting/regurgitation?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holly! Thank you very much for your comment!

Other than not wanting to run, she appears to be super healthy!
No vomiting/regurgitation... She has a healthy appetite, too! Her stomach is kinda sensitive so she tends to have http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/diarrhea.htmldiarrhea from time to time but we can usually trace it back to something she ate. That's all I can think of....

I'll make sure to ask the vet to pay close attention to her heart!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
There are a few conditions I can think of that may cause her issues so please do have baseline bloodwork done as well!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, one week and $400 later, we find out that our girl is as healthy as a horse! She had x-rays on her hips, blood work for heart & thyroid conditions... nothing! Of course, I am relieved but it also means that I am dealing with a high-energy dog who apparently just isn't a runner .... *sigh*

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Well, that's good news and bad news, I guess.

Did you have a full thyroid panel done, or just the inhouse T4 test? In house can miss a lot.

Did you have her heart really evaluated? It is actually reasonably difficult to diagnose heart issues by simple ascultation (listening with a stethescope)

Is she like this at all times of the year, or could there be a summer time heat element to this?

Those are the questions I'd be asking myself....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All her blood work went to an external lab and I asked the vet to have every test done that would indicate a heart or thyroid issue; I assume that's what the vet ordered (she really thought it wasn't necessary to do the full spectrum but just to be on the save side, she agreed to do it).

Supposedly her heart-results came back with a note saying that there wasn't any reason to believe she had underlying issues or would develop heart issues any time soon!

Sadly, our big pooch is like this all year around. Within the last week, I tried different things to motivate her to run - she ran about 1,5 miles with me while I was feeding her turkey mid-run about every 10 steps but even then I could tell she was only in it for the treats! As soon as I ran out of turkey, we were back to lying on the ground.

I'm still struggling to believe that a young, healthy Ridgeback doesn't like to run. If you can think of anything else -- anything at all, I will try it; I so desperately want her to be my running buddy!

:(

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
That's pretty interesting! Are her paws sore?? We have one of our Catahoulas on Wellactin to build up her immune system, but ask your vet first. Maybe you could post the lab results on DF for examination....

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Well I am not a runner and my dog couldn't run endurance wise either but have you considered a different running surface and different routes? Is there a rubber track you can use at night? Sandy beach? Grassy field?

·
Registered
1 Posts
All her blood work went to an external lab and I asked the vet to have every test done that would indicate a heart or thyroid issue; I assume that's what the vet ordered (she really thought it wasn't necessary to do the full spectrum but just to be on the save side, she agreed to do it).

Supposedly her heart-results came back with a note saying that there wasn't any reason to believe she had underlying issues or would develop heart issues any time soon!

Sadly, our big pooch is like this all year around. Within the last week, I tried different things to motivate her to run - she ran about 1,5 miles with me while I was feeding her turkey mid-run about every 10 steps but even then I could tell she was only in it for the treats! As soon as I ran out of turkey, we were back to lying on the ground.

I'm still struggling to believe that a young, healthy Ridgeback doesn't like to run. If you can think of anything else -- anything at all, I will try it; I so desperately want her to be my running buddy!

:(
I see this was sometime back. I am dealing with the same issue with my male Ridgeback - he is three years old. He started out as a pup with what you described and now we’re having major health issues at three years old. When he was younger they stated their was nothing wrong. Im a jogger and he was not up for it. I’m curious how your girl is and if anything developed. At 3 yrs old vet now doesn’t know what is wrong.
No energy
Lethargic
Low blood platelets
Antibiotics and steroids doing nothing. My heart is just breaking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts