Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i'd ask for what others think about reusing collars. My boy passed away in July and I have his collar hanging on the collar hook I have by the back door since then. I've never thought about using a past collar for another one of my dogs until now. It's such a nice collar and it holds such a special place in my heart (because of who it belonged to). Do you think it's right? I don't want him to feel like i'm replacing him, I just really like it and like having something of his close all the time (which is why I always put past dogs tags on my key ring too).

·
Registered
298 Posts
I really don't see why not.. why wouldn't you reuse a collar if is really nice and holds a special place in your heart? You are not by any way disrespecting your former dog.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've put the more sentimental collars (and harnesses and leashes) in memory boxes, but have also used the rest of the collections on other dogs.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I can't say I've ever reused a collar of a dog that's passed away, but I have used leashes, bowls and sweaters. I mean, it's really a personal choice. If it's truly a nice collar and it would make you happy to see it on a new dog, I say you should do it.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree with what others have said, its more of a personal choice. In my case with my previous 2 (Sandy and Clyde) I keep there collars as more of sentimental reminder of them. Same with Sandy's old leash, im not sure why but I wont use her leash at all but I don't mind using Clyde's old leash, maybe its because I was much closer with Sandy. Anyways to me it would feel funny (and even just thinking about it) to have their collars on another dog. The best way I can explain it is, its their collars, if that makes sense.

If you feel comfortable with it, then I don't see why not. It will be something of his that holds good memories that's being put to helpful and good use in the present. If not it can be nice reminder of him whenever you see it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It's entirely up to you. If it's a nice collar and it feels right then go for it. If it makes you uncomfortable then don't.

Were it me I probably wouldn't, but that's just me. Not because I think there's anything wrong with it, but because I like for dogs to have their own "things" and collars get gross, stinky, and dingy in m world. I don't buy expensive collar, so I might as well just get the new dog a new one and keep the old one for sentimental value. My old horse's halter has been sitting on my bed since he died early this past summer. I have no intentions of moving it, and a cheap nylon halter has much more sentimental value than practical value on a future horse. Everything else is fair game for a new horse.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It feels a bit weird, but I hate seeing it hanging there not being used. Thank you guys for the input.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
If you are alright with having your new dog wear it then go for it, there's nothing wrong with it. LIke everyone has said, it's a personal choice. I don't reuse collars, I have a memory box that I put the collars in, along with favorite toys and other mementos. I have reused leashes, bowls, brushes, and blankets.

I'm willing to bet that your boy knows that he's irreplaceable, that his spot in your heart is his forever, never worry about that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I won't re-use a collar, nor will I re-use the bridle of a horse I have laid to rest.

When my heart horse of 25 years passed last year, I buried his bridle with him. It was a high quality English leather bridle that cost $90 new, 25 years ago. A lot of money for someone who has always been a trail rider and has never shown.

Everyone has a different opinion---- we all have to do what is right for ourselves:)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Alva is wearing a harness that belonged to our late Belgian Tervueren and she uses their leather buckle collar at obedience trials (we had two Tervuerens and both used it). It still carries Netta's bite marks where she had chewed it.

I cannot immediately think any object labelled so much "Alva" that I could not use it on another dog when she will be gone, at least MY dog. Well, there is her puppy collar but that will probably get reused too.

Alva is my first very own dog, raised from an 8 week old puppy into an adult dog all by myself and being the only one responsible for her so maybe her going will cause many powerful feelings. I don't know and I don't want to know anytime soon. It would probably feel odd to walk another dog on her leash.

I will definitely keep her registration documents and trial books (or what would you call the little notebooks our scores and placements are marked at trials we have entered).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I quite like the idea, that said, I still have my last girls collar & lead in a cupboard, it's a bit small for Betsy anyway. What I did do though was use Maddy's identi tag on Betsy (it didn't have her name, just contact details) I found it comforting & thought of it as Maddy looking after Betsy :)

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
My first dog was a 25lb Lab/Beagle mix. One epic dog actually!

Remy wore her collar for a few months as a puppy before she grew out of it. It was kind of nice actually. Remy's current collar (Karma Collars) will be hers and only hers, but any other collar I don't see why not!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I do geocaching occasionally and I purchased so called Travel Bug code for Alva. It means that any geocacher who meets Alva and finds out the code (printed on a tag that can be attached to a collar) can log her as seen on the geocaching website. Travel bugs are actually small coded items that should circulate from cache to cache but some use it to identify their cars, bags - or dogs. The code has also other functions: I have marked Alva's visit to each cache we have found together and the site calculates the number and the distance between the caches she has been at.

I think that when Alva has gone, I'll release a laminated picture of Alva or some small collie-themed thing with the code printed on it to travel around the country with other cachers. I'll leave it in a cache box, some other cacher picks it up and takes it to another cache and places it inside to be found by the next cacher. I can track its movement when people report seeing or moving it forwards on the website. I don't think Alva will mind and the little thing would tell her story to anyone who finds it.

In fact, Alva is sitting on a geocache camouflage in the picture under my username.

I forgot to comment your collar use in my first comment so I'll comment it here:

I don't see anything weird reusing the collar. If it feels right to you, it will be right. And you can think it is sort of honor for the younger dog to carry the collar of a good dog you once had.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The collar is just a piece of material...it's what feelings you transfer onto it as far as sentimental memories is what makes it special. That doesn't mean it has to be put away and never used again.

It will be special and remain special to you no matter what animal you put it on. In fact, maybe a new tradition will evolve from it and twenty years from now you will look at it and think of the 3 or 4 pets who had the honor to wear that special collar.

As for myself... When I was younger, I bought each new pet a new collar and the former collars are on a hook with their leashes. But now that I'm older, I don't think I would be that opposed to reusing any of them for a new pet.

My thinking has changed over the years...and I'm realizing that being sentimental doesn't mean things have to be done in a certain way. That loving something/someone new never takes away from someone I love or have loved.
I've loved all of my pets and never ever had to love any of them less in order to show love for a new one.

Hope that makes sense. :p

Stormy

·
Registered
572 Posts
Manna and Vitae mix and match each others collars and harnesses now...my previous dogs were a lot smaller so no, but I wouldn't be against it.

Half the time my dogs go naked anyways, the collars don't mean much to me sentimentally

·
Registered
876 Posts
We reuse collars, saving them until the right dog comes along to wear that collar again. There's about six in the safe-keeping drawer, and sooner or later they come out when a new dog just.. feels right to put the collar on. They are I guess you could say, the final stamp on a dog. Once they have our collar, they're us til they too pass on and the collar goes back in the drawer. One of these collars, a leather and brass one, hasn't come out in a while for a dog, but was my grandmother's first dog's collar. I guess it began with her.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I haven't puppy collar that has been on several dogs.

I also have a magnetic collar that I have always kept and again used on many oldies!

Do the same with their collars when they pass.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I don't think I would re-use Jazzy's collar, only because she only ever had the one. It's tattered, it still has bits of fur in it, it's jazzy's. And so I keep it in my purse to remind me of her.

I did re-use her harness on Tessa when she was little enough. I also continue to use her leash on Tessa, it's soo well made I can't find something to replace it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts