Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I hate retractable leashes like most dog people. But in trying to work on long distance recall training I find the 20 foot leash is really cumbersome and annoying. Has anyone ever used a retractable leash for recall? The lack of leash tangles just seems like it would be easier but I don't want to spend money on something that will just be a pain in the butt, and that I won't use again.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I've actually wondered the same thing. Chisum has a 50' lead that we use mainly for a tie out (supervised) but it's annoying for recall training because when he drifts off to do his own thing before I recall him he mostly gets tangled.

I would definitely only use it specifically and probably get one that has the flattened tape as opposed to the cord.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've used a retractable leash for recall training. No tangles and no need to reel in the leash by hand. Although it's only long enough for mid-distance practice. If I want to do long distance I use a regular long line. Maybe there are retractable leashes out there that are longer than mine? I don't know, though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
822 Posts
I personally would not use one to teach recalls. There is constant pressure on the line which to me would teach a dog to pull. Plus the clicking noise would be a distraction that a dog would not hear when doing actual recall. Also if you accidentally drop the leash the handle would be "chasing" the dog really terrifying if you have a soft dog. I prefer to reel in by hand. It takes some practice but then again I had horses that I would lunge and ground drive. Jmo

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've wondered the same thing, as we don't have a fenced yard to practice in and I don't trust them enough to start out at the park totally loose.

Most retractable leashes have a switch on them so they don't retract - wouldn't that make it work? No clicking or possibility of it 'chasing' them, though might be best to stake it so it won't drop or the switch change? I'm wondering if anyone's trained with one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've thought of using a retractable leash for recall, however, the "snap" that such a leash creates I can't stand. Also, with a long leash I'm able to simply drop it, even when she's wandering through the woods or something like that, with a retractable leash, due to the handle, I would be unable to do that. When I need to, since I've done it enough times, I pick up the leash, reel in the leash and call her.

For me, I probably wouldn't even use a retractable leash except for when I was doing recall training which for me isn't worth the pretty penny I know a good one is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.