Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although my retirement is a few years away yet, I would like to hear from those who travel with their dogs. We will have a decent sized RV, and will do traveling for 1/2 the year.

How does this affect your dog? Or does it affect your dog? They are part of the family so will, of course, come with us. Do they settle in, once a routine is established? What is their psyche, as far as marking goes? I don't like to let my dogs mark, when I walk them. I heard/read that it gives them anxiety to mark a large territory, as they can't possibly defend a large territory.

Kind of a two part question. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
502 Posts
As long as your dog is well socialized and has done traveling before, I think they would be fine. I'm sure there are some dogs that need more stability, but in general if you get them used to it and have a routine, as long as they are with their owners, it should work.

Also I don't think that marking causes them to be anxious. It's just an instinctive thing to do to tell other dogs that they've been there. They don't feel the need to defend everywhere they've marked.

·
Registered
501 Posts
One thing I would suggest is get them accustomed to the RV before an extended trip right off the back. Do some training and short trips so they learn it is their safe place, home away from home, and will mean good things will happen when in the RV as opposed to just loading up and them never seeing their "home" for six months.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I agree with the above posters. I don't have experience with this exact situation but I take my dog camping almost every weekend in the summer/fall and she adapts really well to new places. Of course, every dog is different.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
After Johnny Depp's faux pas with his dogs in Australia, my suggestion is that you do a quick search of whatever jurisdictions you plan to travel to/through to check requirements for dogs. For instance, in my town a dog not only has to have tags, they are actually required to wear them in public places. And for instance there are all sorts of rules depending on where you are, as to whether your dog can sit with you at an outside cafe. Most of the time there won't be any issues but in my opinion it is worth the 60 seconds or so it would take to do a search.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments. I hadn't thought about the tag laws, etc. That's a good head's up.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
We often travel in our motor home. Samantha does just fine, she is at home in the motor home, has her dishes, beds and some toys. When we arrive at a park, she almost immediately knows exactly where we are parked, and after walking can lead us back to our motor home. We always carry all her medical info, as well as her home license tag etc. Have never had any problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts