Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am a Newbie to this forum. I have had dogs in the past, but it has been at least six years since my last dog.

I recently purchased a retired 7yo Shih Tzu from a reputable breeder. She saw the vet last month and was given a clean bill of health. She is adorable and was told that she would be shy. She is warming up to us as we have had her two full days now.

I am concerned because she will not always eat, drink water, pee or poop. Her appetite was surprisingly good yesterday. She did eat 1/2 cup rice and chicken twice yesterday. (Her first poop at home was loose) She will not eat the Kibble they sent home with her either. I don't know if my brain is reflecting on puppy behavior or not as I have never had a dog at this stage of their life before. It is after 2pm now and she has only peed once today and has not eaten or drank any water. Her stomach is growling so loud, I got hungry just listening to it. I have tried to hand feed her to no avail. I splash my finger in her water bowl to encourage drinking, nope, nothing.

She is prancing and running around just fine. She appears to be in good spirits although she refuses to go outside. I usually have to pick her up to move her either closer to the door or out to the grass.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any suggestions? I appreciate your insight.

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
She might be out of sorts with the big change, and a little nervous.

When my dog was reluctant to drink, I used some of the water from a can of tuna in spring water (not brine) to tempt him - about a spoonful in a bowl of fresh water.

You could add a little of the tuna to coat the kibble too, or even just soak it in warm water for a few minutes to release the aroma.

Have you asked the breeder if she is like this normally?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I second asking the breeder and getting their suggestions. And I suspect it may have a lot to do with the fact that she's probably been in one home all her life and is now in a completely different one. It may take time for her to settle in. And in the meantime as Joanne says maybe you can tempt her with something special and nicely smelly on her food. (Just don't start hand-feeding her or you may end up with a dog who won't eat unless you hand feed her!)

·
Registered
506 Posts
She might be out of sorts with the big change, and a little nervous.

When my dog was reluctant to drink, I used some of the water from a can of tuna in spring water (not brine) to tempt him - about a spoonful in a bowl of fresh water.

You could add a little of the tuna to coat the kibble too, or even just soak it in warm water for a few minutes to release the aroma.

Have you asked the breeder if she is like this normally?
You can also "sweeten" her food with Sardines in WATER..Nothing else except water.
I hate the things (nose clips work.. 😁) but my 3 dogs love them. They are good for the heart, brain, and coat too.
Walmart carries them for under $1 per tin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts