Dog Forum banner

Results from switching to cheapo food to the good stuff

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  LoveLola 
#1 ·
When I got Chubby at 6wks old I started him on Purina Pro Plan Puppy at the recommendation of someone at Pet Smart. He grew fast, went from 10lbs at 6wks to 70 at 6mos, then stopped growing. At 6 months the vet said he was a few lbs overweight so I reduced his diet but I was always buying the Purina brand (today at 14mos old he weighs 75lbs).

A couple of months ago I decided to get him better food with no fillers so I bought Rachael Ray Nutrish because it had a good rating. He's short haired but always shed pretty bad. After a week or two on RR the shedding was reduced to nothing. Went from blobs of hair in the bathtub drain during baths to none at all. He's pretty plump (hence his name), gets tons of exercise but I never noticed how bloated he was until he started eating the good food. He got toned up very fast.

On the second bag of RR he started getting picky and wouldn't eat it for a couple of hours until he got real hungry. Everything else he's inhaled. That's the only complaint I had with it. So a few days ago I went all out and bought Taste of the Wild for $50. He loves it so far, hopefully that lasts. And he has itchy skin so we'll see if grain free food helps with it.

Anyway, this is just an FYI for anyone trying to decide if they should start spending more money for food. Shedding is down to nothing so less vacuuming the house, his coat is brighter, he's toned up and no longer bloated, doesn't poop as much and I don't have to feed him as much at each serving. I would say he has more energy but he never had a problem with that. He's just plain healthier and the change was obvious within a week or two.

See less See more
#2 ·
If he gets picky you can always start buying enough for a month and then switch flavors every month. I get the 4 or 5 lb bags of Fromm for Zody and rotate between 3 of the flavors.

Reactions: crazy
#3 ·
The only reason he was picky with it is because all that "good tastey stuf" in foods like Purina isn't in the better foods. My dog did the exact same thing and we feed them 4health (think is how its spelled) and they basically get as much as they want to eat (mainly because one is a skinny type puppy who could eat a horse and not gain much weight.) We recommended the brand to a few family members and friends and their dogs would straight up ignore it for DAYS before they gave up and ate it and realized they liked it. If he doesn't seem to "gobble it down" then it is most likely just more fulfilling and he doesn't feel as hungry!

#4 ·
I'm glad you've had such great results! Unfortunately, my dog is a shedding machine, even on the good stuff. Every time she rolls over on our living room rug to roll around, I hear my husband complain, "Lo, I just vacuumed!" Heh, it's all part of being a dog owner I guess :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.