Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally bopped my year-old lab mix on the nose with a high lobbed chuck-it ball, which hurt. He yelped. He now appears to be scared of the ball. When I roll it to him, or bounce it nearby, he heads in the other direction. Any suggestions for desensitizing him so he enjoys chasing balls again?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Have he been “scared” of the ball for a long time? Otherwise I wouldn’t worry. Have you tried throwing the ball for him to chase rather than rolling it towards him?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, he loved chasing the ball and I used it to get him tired. He will now run after the ball, if I run with him, but he's not going to tear across the yard like he did before. I got the chuck it a few days ago and he really liked it. This morning was when I accidentally hit him.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's ever so soon after the accident. Don't play ball games for a couple of days, then start again gradually, just rolling it way from him, and he'll probably get his confidence back. It might take a while though.

BTW, be aware that repeatedly chasing balls can be very bad for a dog's joints, particularly a young one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts