Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew I was getting myself into this but I thought I would ask and see what people say. This especially goes out to anyone who have had high energy puppies.

Aayla is starting to get restless. She is starting to do a lot of pacing around our house when I am home in the evening and in the mornings. I used to be able to space out her nap times with play time and training but she isn't doing the napping much anymore.

• She gets a 20-35 minute walk in the morning as well as one main training session and one small one.
  • The she is in her playpen while the BF and I are at work for 1-4 hours.
  • BF comes home, takes her potty, plays with her for 30-60 min then lets her wander around for another hour, takes her potty and puts her back in her playpen while he does HW/works on his artwork, will take her out to play and go potty every two hours.
  • I come home around (I'm gone typically from 11-8) she gets to play for an hour, sometimes another 20 minute walk. Then another training session.
  • Then we try and settle, watch TV and get on with normal activities.
  • Once a week she has puppy socialization class
She is still restless, pacing and trying to play. She always gets fed in a kong wobbler, frozen kongs, or through training. She gets a lot of chews for her to work on when BF is here but not playing with her.

I don't mind upping her walks, but I worry about doing too much and her damaging her growth plates. I also can't take her a ton of doggy type places because of she won't be fully vaccinated for another three weeks. We normally go to bed around 10-11pm she doesn't fall asleep for the first 30-40 minutes after going in her crate. (which means I don't fall asleep until 11-12pm) Then she wakes me up like clock work at 6:30am and I'm starting to get exhausted (I'm a need 9 hours of sleep person) She refuses to sleep or be quiet after 6:30.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Ohhhhh Aussies. :)

I exercised Levi A LOT as a puppy, probably more than I should have. I let him set the pace, and we did a lot of stuff in the woods and fields so he wasn't going crazy on pavement.

Heidi is more of a pacer than Levi is (in fact I kind of think Levi might be part greyhound or something, content to go crazy outside, huuuuuge couch potato inside). Heidi gets a lot of puzzle toys, not just for eating, but also just to keep her busy. We also hide treats all over the house for her to find (Levi doesn't know he can use that thing on his face to seek treats out).

We also start ignoring them. If I'm on my computer/reading a book that is their cue to go entertain themselves/play with each other. Especially if you know they've just gone potty and have lots of toys. As a result, they will go lay down and nap for a while, and then we will get up and play with them for a while.

I'm a huge cheater for sleeping in the morning. My husband gets up at 5:30 for work. He takes both the dogs out and then lets them back in and Heidi gets in bed with me and sleeps until 7-7:30. :p

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
501 Posts
You are expecting a 3 month old puppy to be able to hold their bladder from 10p-6:30a????...not gonna happen.

You have a bit more time before they can be expected to hold it that long. If you wanna sleep in longer, get up in the middle of the night and let the puppy out, then she may be able to sleep in longer than 6:30am

If she is not taking naps, she is not getting wore out enough. Puppies are all about energy management.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I actually have a pretty similar schedule to @Shandula. I unfortunately did not have Forbes as a baby, but I know his breeder took him to do a lot. She also had the luxury of being able to bring him to work. I also will ignore him. He may pace for a little bit (usually while there is something going on outside) but he will eventually lay down with a nylabone or just take a nap. I like to help dogs learn to self occupy whether that is with a bone or a nap. I can't constantly entertain a dog.

Reactions: Shandula

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clarify for @Pax, She has been sleeping through the night since she was 10 weeks old. If she was to get up and whine in the middle of the night I would take her out, but she doesn't. When she gets up at 6:30 I take her out, let her potty and try to put her back into the crate to get a little more sleep. She used to nap for another 30 min to an hour. Now she just decides she is awake and will cry and circle until I get up. I've tried just waiting and if I'm lucky she will decide to chew on her bully stick, but thats getting rarer and rarer.

I have a hard time just ignoring her @Shandula and @jclark343. I feel like I have to keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't chew on anything (we can't puppy proof all the cords) or have an accident. Which she has not had an accident in about 5 days (cross fingers) but it still is happening. We've started teaching her to use the doggy door so we will see if she will start to go out on her own, but until then I feel like I want her in sight. We don't have a room we can block off, its a very open floor plan. I've considered leashing her to me, giving her a bone and then ignoring her hoping she will settle instead of pestering me, the BF or Kota.

How much would you consider too much for a pup her age? Right now our walks cover a little over 1/2 a mile. Can I walk her a full mile on a daily basis? Once she gets all her vaccines can I take her on a 1-2 mile hike (at 4 months)? I try taking her places but honestly my work hours make it hard to take her out more than 1-2 times a week. Once she is fully vaccinated I can possibly take her to work once a week on the slow days.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@ThatYellowDog - I have to be honest, I didn't even keep track of how much we were doing distance wise. If one day we walked for an hour and he seemed fine, the next time we might try for the same amount. If we walked and he seemed really tired, we'd do way less next time.

Edit - What about tethering her to your coffee table or something? Heidi spent some time attached to our heavy end table for sure. :p

Reactions: TheAdventureK9

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I wouldn't say IGNORE her, but sit on the couch, watch some tv, and keep tabs on her out of the corner of your eye.

Reactions: TheAdventureK9

·
Registered
34 Posts
This doesn't really answer your question but a quick note on the doggy door. It was probably the best investment I made haha. Prior to that, I had trouble timing when my Aussie needed to potty but once he got the hang of the door, he basically trained himself (4 months old at the time). So hopefully things get a little easier and maybe encourages her independence once she gets used to it :p

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Shandula Tying her might be a good option. That way she can settle and I can not watch her so closely. I feel bad putting her in her playpen all the time but tying would be a bit different. Plus Kota now spends almost all of his time outside now because that is where he has been able to escape her. If he is inside she spends her time standing on him like a goat. So maybe teaching her to leave him alone would be good too. Funny to think I couldn't get him to not attack her when I brought her home but now he won't tell her off for being a pest he just runs outside.
@jclark343 If I let her wander I find myself stressing trying to figure out what she is chewing on (its always something, toy or something she found) and why she is sniffing the rug intently (the rug she has accidents on) Its always somewhat out of eyesight from the couch, so I end up stressing more than relaxing.
@Astroquack Good to hear! I've been working on it for a few days now, I still have to lead her to it to go outside but she is picking it up easily enough. If I lead her to it she will run outside, go potty and come back in on her own. So that's good!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wow you do have a high-energy puppy..I have a Kelpie puppy who is 16 weeks old and now I consider him very chilled compared to your puppy. When my puppy barks or whines in his crate (unless he needs to go to potty), I force myself to ignore him and after a maximum of 10 minutes, he just goes to sleep. Have you tried making sure that everything is consistent? (e.g. feeding, playing, training, walking at the same time each day). I heard that some dogs get pretty restless if things are done at different times during the day. I try to ensure that the feeding time is on time (8am, 1pm, 6pm) and make sure that he is in his crate for a nap at the same time each day (10am and 1:30pm).

I think the above suggestions are awesome. If you try to increase the walks, it might work but your dog might gets use to that large amount of exercise every day and they might expect that much exercise all the time. You could also try teaching your dog to be calm via training. Are you also walking in different routes because they might get bored if they walk in the same place? When I go for the morning and afternoon walk, I usually stop by at a park or an open space then put a long leash on him (15m). Then we play fetch/chase where I throw a bouncy ball and he goes to fetch the ball. To protect his joints, I make sure that I hold onto him while the ball is bouncy around and release him after the ball stops bouncing in different directions so he won't need to turn sharply. Don't do this for a long period of time as the dog might not know when to stop.

What about getting your dog to sleep earlier like at 9pm in the crate? I put my puppy in the crate around 9pm and he sleeps until 6:30-7am. He use to whine and bark but he doesn't anymore after I did it every day.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So this morning I woke up at 6am and was all of a sudden pretty awake. (Actually got to go to bed at 10pm last night) It was quiet in the room and I thought it might be nice to get up before she was awake and let her out before she started crying. I turn over to see a pair of eyes boring holes into my face. So I'm guessing she is always up earlier than 6am and is nice enough to be quiet until 6:30 before starting to whine. Soon as she noticed I'm awake she started crying. Maybe I turn over at 6:30 while sleeping?

@tange She sure is! If she wants to get up in the morning she will not stop whining. I have waited up until 30 minutes before getting up at the first sign she is quiet to try and teach her to be quiet.

I personally believe that being super strict in timing creates problem dogs. Dogs that start to expect their meal at exactly 7:00am start barking at 6:40 cause they get so excited knowing for sure that its coming. These dogs also get anxiety ridden when the schedule is changed. I try to make sure that she gets fed and walked around the same time (within a 2 hour span) but the only thing very consistent is her potty breaks.

I'm a little limited on where I walk because I only have a few different places I can go before she would be tired and have to turn around. I do try and vary which way we go though. Its still hard when hasn't had all her vaccines yet. She goes to puppy class every saturday and we try to get in one new place a week too. (typically breweries, can you imagine slightly tipsy people with a puppy walking around?! Lol, everyone has to love on her.) I really do need to get her a long line though for parks. I would love to get her into fetch at parks.

I don't think sleeping earlier for her is better. Then she might start waking up at 5am and I get even more sleep deprived.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
The sleeping gets easier. Levi was a 5:30 alarm clock. Every. Damn. Day. It didn't matter when we went to bed, he was up at 5:30, and he'd let you know it. I tried EVERYTHING to get him to settle. Let him out, gave him toys, nothing. I also never fed him breakfast until 8, so hopefully he would learn. Big nope.

Eventually, he just started sleeping in. I remember the first time I woke up and the clock said 9:00, I couldn't believe it. Now he might groan because he needs to pee, but if I let him out he would come in and go right back to sleep with me.

Persevere! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Your puppy sounds a lot like mine (she's 6 months old on Friday!). She doesn't settle easily and as much as I feel bad putting her in her x-pen, I need to get work done, and she settles pretty quickly in there. I'm currently working on relaxation protocols from Dr. Overall http://www.dogdaysnw.com/doc/Protocol_for_Relaxation-_Karen_Overall.pdf .
Ideally, the puppy will learn to settle on her own. I also can't let her roam the house or sit on a couch and try to watch her. She will go straight to biting on chairs/couches/firewood within minutes when she is in a destructo mood. It's also stressful to let the puppy roam because she *will* get into things.

Every once and a while she does something good (like sleeping next to me the whole time I baked cupcakes this weekend) and I rewarded that LOTS (as much as one can reward a sleeping puppy).

As for the sleeping thing, I'm with Shandula, the pup was getting us up consistently around 6am. We could usually just let her out to potty and then go back to bed. She got not pets, no food, nothing except praise for going potty. Eventually, she just started sleeping in. One day we made it until 8. Other days, we can let her go potty (usually around 7:15) and get her to sleep until 9. Lately though, she's been up at 7:15 and a-w-a-k-e. This is all to say- it will get better (and then worse, and then better!)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Shandula Out of curiosity how long was it until he did sleep in? Its not super terrible having to get up in the morning, I get more stuff done. Yet every now and then I would like to be able to go out late, and then sleep in. I'm telling everyone I never want to go out for fun nights because I have to wake up at 6-6:30. I just wish she would choose to go back to sleep. If I put her on the bed with us she is running around and chewing on our faces. We actually need to work on her being calm when people are laying down. Her favorite thing is standing on people's heads...

@Maiabean - Aayla will only settle in her playpen or crate when she is tired. (after walks/heavy playtime) She does well with my boyfriend but she is getting attached enough to me that she is fine when I am gone, but if I'm in the house and she can't get to me she throws a fit. I wait it out but going every day with a puppy howling and barking for 30-40 minutes is not fun. She loves her crate playpen and I plate crate games and separation training and she does great. She knows when I am not training her for it and will throw a fit then.

I get the whole watching thing! Aayla is actually a really good puppy. She hasn't turned into a monster chewer yet. (We have a month until teething I think though >_>) She leaves the furniture alone, mostly acts like a vacuum cleaner for every small piece of lint on the floor and chews on toys. Every once in a while she will grab a shoe or get too interested in power cords but is easy to redirect. Maybe I'm more paranoid than is warranted for her. If she wasn't so restless I feel like I could relax more. I know these breeds can be known to self entertain with things you would not like.

I am glad to hear another pup just took a while to sleep in. My manager says his 7 YO mastiff still wakes him up at 6am every single day.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track IMO. :)

I got super lucky in the crate training and sleeping in department with Leggs (honestly very likely due to his time at the shelter before I adopted him - he was the office dog and often crated at night) but....

He (Dexter too) is true to his likely terrier heritage. Just busy, busy, busy.

When younger he had a similar schedule and set up. Crated or in an ex-pen when unable to supervise or interact with him. Lots of activity followed by chill time in crate or pen. For a long time I provided something different during each rest time. Stuffed kongs, food toys, bones, everlasting treat ball, cow hooves and horns, himalayan chews... I had a basket of goodies and just rotated to keep him occupied.

One thing I did was SMART x 50/capturing calmness. I had a portion of his food in my pockets and dropped treats every now and then ("bonus reward") when quiet and either relaxing or entertaining himself with whatever item I gave him. Takes time but IME the combo of thoe bonus rewards and flip flopping between exercise/training/other exciting stuff and chill time really help to create the "off switch" you are wanting.;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Shandula I could kiss you. Today, after our walk, Aayla returned to her pacing, bringing me toys, and climbing all over Kota, so I put her on a leash tied to our ottoman and five minutes later this happened:

IMG_3918.jpg

@kmes I try and do capturing calmness, I guess not enough. She is great out and about because I do that a lot, I also do it when I'm cooking. (to keep her near me without being underfoot the whole time) Whenever I'm cooking she falls asleep in the kitchen. I guess I have to start doing it when I'm reading or on the computer. What is SMART? I'm glad to hear that you think I'm on the right track right now though! I question myself a lot. She is my first puppy. I've always owned dogs that were 1.5 years or older.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@ThatYellowDog - Tethering Heidi was my saving grace. I felt so bad at first, but I was so tired, she needed to sleep, and so did I. :)

Levi started sleeping in at probably 5 or 6 months? So not too much longer - hang in there. :)

Reactions: jclark343

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Smart x 50 is basically capturing behavior. It 's from Kathy Sdao and is laid out in Plenty in life is free.
Stands for: See Mark And Reward Training. The x50 is the number of rewards, though no need to actually track # rewards unless you want. I literally just divided daily food into thirds. Breakfast and dinner (from food toys) and the rest throughout the day for rewards.

I def recommend Kathy's book. Really anything by her. She is fab. Heres a blog (not by Kathy) that talks about smart x 50 in more detail than I can do via phone.
http://www.dogsandbabieslearning.com/2013/02/09/kathy-sdaos-smart-x-50-another-way-to-use-1000-treats/

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
While I don't know if Aspen is AS high energy as a purebred aussie or BC, she was the most high energy puppy that I've ever had.

So, my experience FWIW was...

We did a walk and a training session in the morning before I left for work (say 5am- 6am).

I came home at lunch- 30 minutes of playtime there.

After work, 30 minute walk. I'd give her a puzzle toy or a kong to play with while I prepared dinner (for the humans haha).

After dinner, another walk and another training session.

When I would settle down to do homework or watch tv, she typically still wanted to play. I would toss her a toy and she would either bring it back to me to throw again, want to play tug or she would even play with it herself. She is pretty good at entertaining herself if I'm busy- I think this is important.

I did wake her up in the night to go outside because she doesn't whine to go out. Ever. I doubt this made a huge impact in her activity level but I thought it was worth a mention.

I may be missing things. I feel like I'm always interacting with her in some way. She follows me everywhere I go. If I'm in the shower, she's on the bath mat... if I'm in my bedroom, she's in there... etc... maybe that tires her out too haha I never stop moving.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Shandula There may be light at the end of the tunnel then! My BF choose to take her out this morning so I could sleep in on my day off. I was sooooo happy! Haha.
@kmes I will look into her books! I like the idea though!
@Aspen726 - Aayla is always with me too! Sometimes the BF complains that even though he spends more time at home she is glued to my side when I'm there. If I'm showering she is also on the bath mat, in the kitchen she is sleeping just out of stepping space, and just always in the same room. I feel like I really need to get more puzzle toys for her. I'm going to up her walk times.

I did walk her longer today. I think we over did it a bit as she it sleeping right now. We walked to the Mexican place by our house for breakfast and back with the pups. I thought it wasn't more than a mile there and back but found out it was a mile and a half (but a long break while we ate). Oops. Though when we got home she had more energy than Kota (who flopped down). She still played with toys and ran around while we did yard work. She did take longer naps and is currently sleeping at my feet. Normally this is her witching hour. So maybe a little too much but close to what she needs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts