Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
12,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My childhood friend passed away last night at about 35 years old. She was technically the "grandchildren's" horse, but I was the most horse crazy and spent as much time with her as I could, whether it was riding, grooming, just spending time with her in her pasture.... I don't think I could have asked for a better horse to grow up on. She was the perfect babysitter, so sweet and gentle.

I hadn't seen her for months and my shoer said she looked the worst he'd seen her when he trimmed everyone last weekend. I had planned on visiting my grandparents yesterday but found out they had the flu and shingles.... Should have gone. :(

Anyways, her passing is long overdue. She didn't get the vet care I would have provided. To say she had severe arthritis is an understatement. She could hardly bend her front knees, whose legs were warped into disfigurement to compensate for her limited movement. Going blind.... Couldn't keep weight on. Several years ago, I'd [rather dramatically] tried to get my grandparents' to have her euthanized because of her horrible condition, but they refused, and she's been a touchy subject ever since.

So she's gone now, to her final resting place, wherever that may be. I hope she's in that big field in the sky, with my Jake, Brodhi, Rusty, and others running around her hunting for birds, while she grazes with my first pony. With much love, I'll go say my goodbyes this afternoon. For now, I'm going to go give kisses to Dandy and Orion....

· Premium Member
10,623 Posts
She was such a beautiful girl, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

· Registered
9,463 Posts
Crock, I feel bad for your loss, Having had a horse that was twenty five years old, they are old friends to us.

I hope my old "Cricket" takes notice and runs free with your girl.

Horses get into your heart too.

· Registered
12,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all. I just went to say goodbye and took back a lock of her mane with me. I just realized I didn't put in her full call name, which was Audi Girl. It was definitely time, and I wish her last years weren't so painful. Hopefully she was happy enough.

· Premium Member
9,179 Posts
So sorry for your loss, but it is reassuring that she is in a better place where she is no longer in pain.

· Registered
2,661 Posts
My condolences. Sounds like she was a sweetheart.

· Registered
881 Posts
Oh! my, I am so sorry for your loss. It doesn't seem fair somehow that old age has to carry pain and disfigurement with it.
I am sure that now she is at the rainbow bridge she can run freely and let her mane fly in the wind. Remember her that way if you can...she had a long life and was loved that's what is important.
R.I.P. Audi Girl and run with the wind.

· Registered
12,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again, all. Just spent some time with my geldings, thankful to have them still (and thankful they are spoiled).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.