Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, as part of my year-long high school project, I am working to find and create solutions to problems that owners may face as dogs grow bigger and older. I would love to hear of your experiences as it will help me narrow down a main problem.

Do you experience any problems or inconveniences as your dog grows larger in size and/or weight? What breed of dog? Does he/she grow out of their dog bed? Does he/she eat too much or too often? Does he/she have trouble jumping on the couch? Anything?

All of your responses will help a ton! Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well for me personally we planned ahead so we didn't run into problems.

For example weight; no big deal, we taught him to jump up into the car, etc.

We don't have a problem with this specifically, but products exist to help with overeating or eating too fast, etc.

We just upgraded crates as he grew, but you can buy adjustable crates so you can have the perfect size at all ages.

I'm sorry, we just don't have any problems personally that need to be fixed with a product that doesn't already exist...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I saw your post on the other page, and I've been trying to think of things :)

I have two dogs, both mixed breeds - Addie, a min-pin mix, who is 4yo and weighs around 18-20 pounds, and Bubba, a boxer/puggle mix, who is about 1.5yo and weighs 25-30 pounds.

When I got Addie, she was 7-weeks-old and weighed only 3 pounds! I had to buy a small crate for her initially, then as she got bigger, I transitioned her into a bigger one. There are crates available with partitions that allow you to block a section until your pup grows into it, but I've found the partitions to be clunky and difficult to use. Also, with a mixed-breed dog (especially those from shelters with an unknown mix), it can be difficult to determine how big they will be. I was expecting Addie to be around 25 pounds, and I ended up buying her a crate that was too big (although, that just allowed extra room for padding, so she's OK with it, lol). Bubba was fully grown when I got him, so I was able to buy the right size crate for him off the bat.

Both of my pups are very active and have no problems with mobility (although I do anticipate that will be a problem down the line, since it's almost inevitable). They both have an endless amount of energy, so I always have to come up with creative ways to exercise them. I live in a relatively small townhouse with only a small patio, and it can be difficult to exercise them in the confines of my space. I'm in South Louisiana, where it rains like 75% of the time (or at least feels like it, lol), and if I can't get them out to the dog park or somewhere they can run somewhat regularly, they are bouncing off the walls!

Prior to my two dogs now, I grew up with dachshunds. They really aren't supposed to jump on or off furniture at all (it's bad for their back), but especially once they get older. They are notoriously stubborn, though, and we constantly had to stop them from trying to jump. My parents have a dachshund now who is 6yo and is a little on the tubby side. She loves to be up high (usually on the back of the couch) so she can see out the window, but she shouldn't be jumping up on the furniture. They have a bed for her that is a little elevated, but she'd love to go up higher if she could!

Good luck with your project! Hope my input helped!!! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts