Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone to the potentially insane extent of putting chicken wire up with 3 ft steel sticks along my fence line. Basically a barrier to protect a very young flower bush natural fence that I'm trying to make. (Un)Fortunately, there is a dog on the other side of the fence that mine like to play with. This creates havoc if I'm not outside at the same time. The chicken wire is totally ignored. I've hosed my dog once when I happened to catch him behind it. I just think that when it's just him and his brother, if there is outside entertainment (neighbor dog or someone in the alley), he is going to ignore the chicken wire.

They run around other plants in the yard, so I'm hoping that once stuff grows big enough it'll either be durable or they'll go around. Right now, there is mulch that I don't want them eating and the plants are still pretty snap-prone.

Looking for any ideas! Thanks!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Basically the only way that worked for me was to be outside with the dogs until they got the fact that bushes, shrubs, trees, raised flower boxes are not play toys I put in the yard for them. Unless I planted something in a corner (the yard is fenced) an old chain link fence gate worked well in keeping the dogs at bay, I propped it up kind of like making a triangle with the shrub in the middle (hope my description makes sense). At least until the plant is established and not killed easily by 2 boys peeing on it.

Can you post a pic of your yard so we can see what you're dealing with better and hopefully give you better advice?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically the only way that worked for me was to be outside with the dogs until they got the fact that bushes, shrubs, trees, raised flower boxes are not play toys I put in the yard for them. Unless I planted something in a corner (the yard is fenced) an old chain link fence gate worked well in keeping the dogs at bay, I propped it up kind of like making a triangle with the shrub in the middle (hope my description makes sense). At least until the plant is established and not killed easily by 2 boys peeing on it.

Can you post a pic of your yard so we can see what you're dealing with better and hopefully give you better advice?
I know training time will be different, but do you remember how long it took for them to get better and learn? I guess if they know not to cross the barrier though, then outside entities (like the neighbor dog or someone in the alley) won't be enough to get them to misbehave?

I'll try to post pictures this evening.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So yesterday we got groceries. We typically put him out after getting groceries so we can bring everything in and put away without him getting in the way. I happened to look outside a few minutes after he went out and saw him sprinting for something in the alley (bird or rabbit I assume). He didn't let the corner stop him, but then he ran down the entire line of mulch (picture 2) and effortlessly cleared that part of the chicken wire. That is where I greeted him and pointed the hose at him. He knew. Now I just need him to not do.

I will say, I have been able to stop him before while outside with him. Just having difficulty when I'm not there.

I have thought about taller chicken wire....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts