Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Delilah seems to have a bad habit of resource guarding people she likes. The first day after she came home she spent the day alone with my bf and bonded with him and when I came home she was lying on the bed with him and started barking and growling when she saw me. I thought she was guarding him but he said she just didn't know who I was and she was scared.

But then I introduced her to Mia yesterday. Mia's the first dog that hasn't terrified her. When she sees the neighbor dogs outside she freezes and won't move and if they come close she starts pulling away. But when she met Mia she wanted to play and kiss her and I was so happy they were getting along. But then Delilah came to lie in my lap and when Mia came back over to play Delilah growled and snapped at her! I got up immediately and started ignoring her- if she guards me she's not going to get any attention.

This is really worrying for me though- the guarding and the fear of dogs. I think the dog thing will get better with time since she's still very new and she's scared of a lot of things right now (we're going slow and using a lot of treats!) but the guarding is very concerning and unacceptable. Other than removing myself/attention when she does this, does anyone have any tips to help with resource guarding people she likes from other people and dogs? She doesn't guard against Sophie bunny, which is good! It was just very important to me to get a dog that gets along with other dogs- if this continues she can't go to work at the dog daycare with me because she'll start a fight and being so small (only 5.2 lbs!) she's going to be the one that gets hurt. I was also hoping to get a second dog in 2-3 years so this is something I'd like to nip in the bud.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get the book Mine by Jean Donaldson. For dog-dog resource guarding get Fight by the same author.
Does that cover guarding people because a lot of the articles I've read online only cover inanimate objects like food, toys, beds, etc?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.