Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dealing with my dog's resource guarding for sometime now and it is only getting to be more of an issue. I adopted my dog three years ago now and at the time he was estimated to by around 6 months. He is said to be half hound and half German shepherd. When I adopted him he had no real issues other than being very mischievous for a long time. I can finally leave him alone in the house when I go out without worrying that he will destroy the house or try to escape, but over a year ago he developed resource guarding with animals. I first noticed small signs of at the dog park. He would hover over the water dish and block other dogs without being very aggressive. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but tried to discourage him hogging the water dish when I saw him doing it. The next winter (over a year ago) I took him to the dog park and he immediately started guarding a ball and snapped at another dog. I left and since then I haven't been able to take him to another dog park. I am now in a situation where if he has food, water, a stick, or anything else in his possession and another dog comes by (sometimes even a cat) he'll growl and snap at the animal. If the animal doesn't back down it turns into a fight. Nothing too serious has happened yet, but I'm on constant alert when he is around other dogs. When we go for hikes I have to make sure he doesn't try to carry around a stick and that I give him water and food only when no other dog is around. He has NEVER shown even the slightest sign of aggression towards a human though, this is strictly with other animals. He has gotten into a few fights with my parents' pitbull when in the past, but we avoid issues mainly by feeding them separately. He seems to be a lot less on guard with my parents' two dogs, but strange dogs are an issue. The other day we were out at the park and I had just given him water. I put the dish and water back in my backpack and a little while later when a dog passed by he growled and barked at the dog with the backpack nearby. Later when we walked away he went up nicely to another dog and kissed it on the face and kept walking. This is strictly a resource problem. Take the resources away and he has zero issues with other animals.

I'm just not sure what to do here. He is so sweet and well behaved with people. He gets along very well with other dogs as long as no resources are involved. I have read multiple articles, but the situation is very hard for me. I can't practice with him myself or with another person because he doesn't have any issues with people. I don't have another dog to bring over and practice with either. The two dogs I do have access to he usually doesn't have an issue with. It is also impossible to control the situation when it happens because he goes from zero to ten in one second when that other animal approaches.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've heard the book Mine! by Jean Donaldson (I think that's who it's by? someone correct me if I'm wrong) is a great guide to resource guarding. Perhaps give that a read.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard the book Mine! by Jean Donaldson (I think that's who it's by? someone correct me if I'm wrong) is a great guide to resource guarding. Perhaps give that a read.
Posted via Mobile Device
I just looked up that book and the first review I read that is is mainly geared towards dog->human resource guarding. He has zero issues with humans, only other animals. I almost think it is harder this way because if he did it to me or someone else I could practice different methods daily on my own.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
The book Fight by Jean Donaldson is geared toward dog-dog aggression and she covers resource guarding. Being that your dog is doing this around strange dogs, it may be more challenging. I would still do the protocol around dogs she knows and hasn't resource guarded from in the past. Practicing this will help your mechanical skills and will reinforce her for not guarding.

I would start a counter conditioning program that consists of food reinforcement when your dog sees and notices a strange dog. Keeping a distance great enough to keep your dog under threshold, and doing this as a planned set up, is key. Basically you're changing how your dog feels about the sight of a strange dog. More info on creating a positive conditioned emotional response at CAREforreactivedogs.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts