Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! My name is Jamie and my family is made of my husband, Eric, my Heinz 57 mutt, Harley (6yrs) and our newest addition, Nora (1yr), a fox/wire terrier mix.

Harley is the established dog in the house, I've had her since she was 8 weeks old. She has been the only dog in our family for most of her life, save for her first year when my roommate had a dog.

We're running into issues with Harley guarding the bed. She's slept with my since she was a puppy (not great, I know - but I was weak and she was so tiny) and since she didn't grow large it hasn't been a problem until now. Any time Nora approaches the bed, Harley growls and shows her teeth. There has been a scuffle or two, neither of them getting hurt, thank goodness.

My husband thinks that Harley isn't guarding the bed, but instead guarding myself. Apparently she's warning growled at him when I'm sleeping, but its never escalated to anything physical.

If Harley is guarding me, or the bed, how do we break her of this? Both dogs have crates that are their "homes". I've read up on resource guarding, but most of what I'm able to find is about food or toys. This is a bit harder to remove - or keep the away from.

Any help would be wonderful!

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
Read Mine! By Jean Donaldson. I'm in the middle of reading it again now and it's fantastic, and has info on guarding spaces and people as well. He could be guarding one or the other, but it's very likely he's guarding both, as well-which is why you see such a big reaction when you're on the bed. In any case, the book REALLY clearly defines resource guarding and what to do about it, with tips and steps.

As for management in the meantime, you COULD crate them both nearby in the room at night, across the room from each other, if you're worried about it escalating. Not really fun for anyone but getting a new dog is definitely a trying experience and it can pass with some positive approaches :)

Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying having the dog on the bed. It doesn't effect training at all, except in the case of guarding, which can be prevented through other means and training. There's nothing weak about wanting a cuddly furball next to you while you sleep. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
I'm dealing with my own resource guarding issues here, but I would NOT crate them in the same room. Doing that really backfired on me.

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
Hi Mimasaur,

My situation is not unlike yours in that one of my dogs is resource-guarding me. He's wanting my attention and has been growling at the second dog. I've gotten a lot of responses, including many resources that you may find helpful as well.

http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training-behavior/honeymoon-period-over-jesses-resource-guarding-142410/

A lot of fellow members here have posted links to videos and articles as well as suggested a book by Jean Donaldson called "Mine!"

I'm just getting started, as I alluded to in my previous post, you'll want to be careful on how you deal with this. The problem with my dogs started when I tried to crate both of them. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.