Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my dog Brock since 9/28 & overall he is doing really well. He is about 1.5 years & a Lab/Sharpei mix. I don't think he was abused at all but he was definitely neglected.
However, when we are returning home from walks we hit a point where he just doesn't want to budge. It gets to the point where I have to basically drag him. It doesn't seem like he does this because he just wants to keep walking. I don't know what it is really. Any advice would be much appreciated as I don't like having to pull him & I'm sure he doesn't like it either.
Another thing, he doesn't always have the best leash manners. I tried using a front clip harness but that didn't phase him at all. He walks pretty well but sometimes gets a bit pully about what direction he wants to go in.

Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
When you bring him in what happens? Do you make sure something fun or good happens, or do you bring him in then all the fun, interesting, stuff ends? How long is the walk?

If you are bringing him in and then leaving him alone, then he's likely to have figured out that the fun time ends when he gets back inside so it's better to stay out. With my boy what I do is bring him in then play with him for 5 or 10 minutes, longer if the walk was a short one, or I'll bring him in and give him a nice chew, or a stuffed kong or some food in a food puzzle. It helps him to look forward to coming back inside since something nice happens when he does. You could try doing something like that and see if it helps.

He might have been an outside dog in his former life and simply enjoys being outside more then inside. I had a dog like that and since my yard was secure, and I was sure she couldn't get out, I'd let her hang out in it. She had adequate shade, shelter, and water, I'd check on her to make sure she was alright and see if she was ready to come inside.

Here's a link to a thread for training loose leash walking http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/loose-leash-walking-1683/ and one with instructions on how to properly use treats so that you don't end up with a dog that needs to know you have treats in order to obey a cue http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/thoughts-training-food-1219/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely don't stop giving him attention as soon as we get back in. I continue to pet him or we'll be cuddling on the couch together. We'll continue to play with his toys if he wants to. I know he was born on a farm & I'm assuming he had lots of room (I'm not sure if he was caged up at all). He never seems particular eager to actually go outside & has no clear sign for wanting to go out. Our walks last anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour & they happen every 2-3. He'll play off leash with our neighbor's dog for good long periods as well.
Thanks for the links, I'll give those a look through.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
He may just want to hang around outside for awhile. I live in an apartment now and do not have a yard, first things some mornings my boy will go stand by the door and I'll hurry up and get him leashed thinking he really needs to go potty. The brat will trot out the door, walk into the sun and park himself, he doesn't need to pee, he doesn't want to go for a walk, he wants to relax in the sun.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Well he's trying out, if he can do that with you.
Do you have specific routine to train leashwalking with him? Like, walk nicely and from time to time there'll be treats raining? I'd do that and just demand him to follow my command.
I personally prefer wearing a normal collar for training, but of course only if the dogs it.
At the beginning he's probably stubborn, but in the long run, if you stay firm, it will work out.

Don't use violence with a breed-mix with Sharpei in it. they're great dogs, but you need a bit of time and patience... they can be a bit stubborn. :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My friend has a papillon mix who we invited on a hiking trip. He never goes on walks or anything, and so he's pretty out of shape. A third of the way into the walk he stopped walking, would not go any farther, and would not budge. He was simply tired. My friend had to carry him the rest of the way and he walked about halfway back and then stopped again and she picked him up

If this dog was never walked, it's possible that he's just tired. Does the behavior change whether the walk is long or short? Is it always the same spot?

·
Registered
17 Posts
He may just want to hang around outside for awhile. I live in an apartment now and do not have a yard, first things some mornings my boy will go stand by the door and I'll hurry up and get him leashed thinking he really needs to go potty. The brat will trot out the door, walk into the sun and park himself, he doesn't need to pee, he doesn't want to go for a walk, he wants to relax in the sun.
Yes. This looks like dogs are not for apartaments... I had similar problem with our dog...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts