Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago my older dog needed to be put to sleep. She was wonderful friends with my 2 year old husky/shepherd mix (had her for 1 year before the other one was put down), Aria. It was hard for me, but even harder for Aria. She missed her friend and wanted to play with friends and family members dogs so bad.

I wanted another dog and I felt Aria needed a companion since they were so tight. About 2 weeks ago I adopted a staghound (so they say!) who is close to her size. They hit it off and play and run around the yard quite a bit during the day to the point they hate coming inside.

The last few days Aria has been off. She tried to fight the new dog once. I thought it was just the new dog played too hard for a second and caught her off guard but I'm not so sure. Things did quickly settle down and went back to normal. The times Aria would get excited (walk, I come home, etc) she isn't anymore. Today she peed on the floor which was surprising since she's never had an accident in the house. She won't come in when called and won't play with me outside. She will still play with the new dog and seems to really enjoy her, but there are just behaviors that aren't like her. The new dog has been a challenge to get adapted, but I still make time for Aria. But now she won't accept any of my attention. I take her outside to play like we before the new dog and she just picks up a bone and snubs me.

I feel like in a week's time I have lost another dog and it's devastating. What can I do? Perhaps I'm too emotionally charged from the previous loss, but this isn't her and since she's here forever so I want to do what is right for her! Thank you for any suggestions!

FYI, all dogs are and have been spayed for some time. If this continues I will take her to a vet in the event this is more physical. I would have already if I thought it was :(

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
she's probably just stressed.
dogs getting used to each other can take a few weeks or months.
Make sure she and the new dog don't pester each other too much.
perhaps seperate them during the day after they played, so they don't rile each other up too much.
don't worry too much, but make sure she has enough of alone time with you.
walk them seperatly from each other (daily, atleast 1-2 hours) and spend training and bonding time with both of them separately.
I'm sure she'll come around. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts