Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried googling this topic like crazy. And all everyone talks about is how adult dogs will put a puppy in her place by growling etc.
Our older dog is actually being extremely tolerant of our new puppy. Let's her eat from his bowl, play with his toys, take over his bed. The only signs of jealousy I see is from the look on his face( we are still giving him tons of attention) but is this normal? Is he going to snap one day when he realizes our new puppy is here to stay?! I'm afraid to leave them alone together. He also REALLY wants to play with the new puppy. The only play behavior so far that I'm not sure of is that he likes to chase the puppy. Is that a show of aggression or normal?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I have tried googling this topic like crazy. And all everyone talks about is how adult dogs will put a puppy in her place by growling etc.
Our older dog is actually being extremely tolerant of our new puppy. Let's her eat from his bowl, play with his toys, take over his bed. The only signs of jealousy I see is from the look on his face( we are still giving him tons of attention) but is this normal? Is he going to snap one day when he realizes our new puppy is here to stay?! I'm afraid to leave them alone together. He also REALLY wants to play with the new puppy. The only play behavior so far that I'm not sure of is that he likes to chase the puppy. Is that a show of aggression or normal?
Sounds like you have a very well adjusted dog and I would not worry about it.
I would not leave them alone together because its just not safe to leave a puppy unattended. I would put the pup in a kennel or pen while you are gone just to make sure he does not get into anything he is not supposed to .

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Some dogs like to wrestle, some like to stalk and pounce, and some like to chase. I say so long as your dog isn't actively growling, lunging, or attempting to bite the new addition you're fine. They'll figure out their play styles as the pup grows. One thing amazing about dogs is they can alter their preferences to fit their play mates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts