Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I came across this old post below in my inter-web travels - I found it interesting - but most of all I found the comments amusingly negative - there's some very negative folks out there when it comes to dog lovers - that's for sure... I got the urge to comment some positive feedback to the post

Research indicates dogs have some ability to read minds (11/7/2007)

Well I’ve pondered on this ever since I owned my first dog some 5 dogs ago - all my pet dogs have had unusual tendencies to pre-out-think-me by knowing when I'm ready to take them out for a walk - when I'm going to go out without them - when I'm going to feed myself or when I'm going to feed them – or even when its time for their walks -

The best one that really stumps me is my dog Lucky even knows 5 minutes before my mate arrives in his car - I’ve noticed many times that Lucky jumps up on the back of a chair that is in the window and stares out of the window with her tail wagging like crazy then 5 minutes or so later my mate turns up in his car - same when I'm out walking with her she seems to stop and wag her tail and sniff around cars the same color same make like my mate motor when she spots one like his -

So all I know all dogs have a special side to them that we as humans must have had once only their sense-ability skills have kept evolving where ours higher sense memories are on the wane Big Time…

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I would say that in my experience it has more to do with a dog's amazing hearing/smell than with the reading of minds.

Dogs also have an internal clock of sorts, as do many animals, including people, so if you have your dog on a regular routine he/she will know when certain things are going to happen, like walking, feeding, family members coming home from work, etc. They are also very good interpreters of human body language, and that and your always-changing scent can cue them as to what is going to happen soon, even if you do it subconsciously.

Like I said, wouldn't rule it out 100%, but I think it's easily explained as people not really understanding how different a dog's senses are from ours.

As for the actual article: It is about theory of mind, which is about being able to put yourself in other's shoes, not reading minds. The researcher is not suggesting that dogs can read minds, she is suggesting that dogs have the same mind-reading abilities almost every human does: As humans look at other humans and instinctively put themselves in the other person's shoes, therefore understanding that this person has a mind like that of the individual's. Dogs may be able to do the same- the subject is fascinating and actually a matter of some debate, but it has nothing to do with "mind reading".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its amazing how dogs can tune in with their owners - like my basset, when I'm upset because of some thing some one has done, she will sit next to me with her one paw on my lap - and let that person come near me, they get a bit of a nasty surprise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brilliant Llamacorn 8

I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I would say that in my experience it has more to do with a dog's amazing hearing/smell than with the reading of minds.

Dogs also have an internal clock of sorts, as do many animals, including people, so if you have your dog on a regular routine he/she will know when certain things are going to happen, like walking, feeding, family members coming home from work, etc. They are also very good interpreters of human body language, and that and your always-changing scent can cue them as to what is going to happen soon, even if you do it subconsciously.

Like I said, wouldn't rule it out 100%, but I think it's easily explained as people not really understanding how different a dog's senses are from ours.

As for the actual article: It is about theory of mind, which is about being able to put yourself in other's shoes, not reading minds. The researcher is not suggesting that dogs can read minds, she is suggesting that dogs have the same mind-reading abilities almost every human does: As humans look at other humans and instinctively put themselves in the other person's shoes, therefore understanding that this person has a mind like that of the individual's. Dogs may be able to do the same- the subject is fascinating and actually a matter of some debate, but it has nothing to do with "mind reading".
POSITIVE QUOTE OF THE DAY

The only service a friend can really render is to keep up your courage by holding up to you a mirror in which you can see a noble image of yourself.

-- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) Irish Playwright

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My dogs are outdoor dogs (not my choice). Sparky will stay in bed all morning, even when other people get up. I get out of bed, walk down the hall (all quietly) and he'll be right at the door. Other family members have said he even gets up and sits at the door, seconds before I walk out lol. No matter what time. I probably have some really gross smell when I wake up and he knows that putrid smell means I'm awake

1 - 7 of 7 Posts