Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently put my beloved dog to sleep and though I am not yet ready to take another on, I have been looking at rescue websites about her breed. There is nothing in the country in which I live (UK), but there are postings about a woman in Spain who is desparate to find homes for a few 7 month-old puppies whose homes did not work out out of her litter of 11. She already has 4 dogs. The puppies are of reputable breeding and are being looked after by a vet. They will not be able to come to the UK for another 3 months, by which time I hope to be more over my grief. Right now, I am still pretty weepy, but miss having a dog in my home.

I would be willing to take 2 of her dogs, but it will take ~4 days to drive each way and I cannot afford to fly them. I am not worried about my journey, but am worried about traumatising the dogs who will be ~10 months old by the time they qualify for the European Pet Passport to travel to the UK. 1 of them in particular is quite attached to the woman who wants to rehome them because its previous home was not happy. She is no longer confident she will find good homes in Spain. Can you imagine taking dogs who are used to a particular home and then putting them in a car for 4 days with a stranger? I would definitely go out (sooner rather than later) and visit them beforehand to check on their health and whether I think I would like to adopt them, but am not sure about how much more time than that I can give as it would already take a week of my time to get them over here. I am a student and have fallen behind in my studies due to my now deceased dog's illness. I have had dogs most of my life and grew up in a 'rescuer' family.

Am I crazy to be thinking about this? I am still very upset about the loss of my dog and may not be thinking clearly. Should I ask if the current breeder/owner would be willing to travel with the dogs to UK to lessen the trauma of the journey? Should I give up on the whole thing and look for a dog in the UK, leaving this woman to try to find another home for the dogs?

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
*HUGS* I'm sorry for your loss.

Your not crazy-everyone grieves in their own way. But now my mom advice "pull up your socks and study hard-you can still catch up on your studies and it may help you grieve to distract yourself"

On the dogs-I don't think your traumatizing them by them going for a long drive. It may take longer because you'll want to stop and take pee breaks and walks. But it shouldn't be a big deal ;) If you do this, I can give you some long distance travelling with pets tips :)

On the woman who's adopting them-since you're obviously a good home, I think it's completely within reason to ask her to do some of the driving-at least a day but perhaps meeting you half way?

If it's meant to be-it will work out :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
She has a sad story but first you must think of you.... Your studies come first and formost. I know its hard, Iv been there. So your first question is, are you going to catch up faster not looking for another pet, trying to bond, trying to train. Or are you going to catch up better if you have that spot filled again and feeling better. What about the time its going to take getting involved in long distance adoption, will your studies suffer from that? Or will it give you the extra pep to hit your studies harder.? Will the lady go the whole way if you simply pay for her gas to get to you and back to her home? That may help you have time to study and she can do the traveling. Will the dogs get the kind of training they need to be with you while they wait to come to you? And are you going to have time for 2 if studies can be hard now?
I think this is a good thing for you to do, but I think that you have to put you first and decide by answering these questions. If you let a dog get in the way of school, as much as you will allways love this dog, you will hate yourself for letting go of something that is life changing.
Give it all thought, I think you will come up with the right thing :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts