Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've had Ernie for a few weeks now. The first week he was recovering from kennel cough and slept all the time (well, when he wasn't coughing)

Since then he has started barking at 5am regardless of where he sleeps. I've tried crating him in dining room next to our other dog (hoping he would take cue from her that there's no point fussing until I'm up) and I've tried crating him next to my bed. Still, he wakes too early and barks. I've tried ignoring him but he goes on and on. I have two young kids that I don't want him to wake so I have given in and gotten up with him. (I know this reinforces him, which is why I am asking what to do)

I've tried using white noise to drown him iut, but his little voice carries. I can't have him waking the kids. Any ideas?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only thing I can think to do is move them to the downstairs guest room where we can hear him. I hate to make them sleep somewhere they aren't used to. Maybe it would only have to be for a week then he would learn he doesn't get let out when he barks? :(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
If he doesn't do anything when he barks, then tough love may be best (ignoring him, if possible).

If he has to go to the bathroom, I'd set an alarm for before he wakes up, then go down proactively and let him out to go. Over time, extend the time that you get up (ex. if you get up to let him out at 4:45, after a couple of weeks wake up at 5:00 to let him out).

It's not ideal (been there!) but when you gotta go, you gotta go and you may just have to train him and his body to fit to your schedule.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.