Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to try to stay pragmatic and minimally sappy here. I posted about this in the Memorials section, but it only got one response, so I guess it was too long or redundant.

Tuva went too young, far too young. She helped me catch and rescue a stray a month before she died, and I, with the help of other dog lovers, was able to re-home him. I want to set up a fund to help reactive, timid, or otherwise behaviorally high-risk dogs who end up as strays or are in danger of being surrendered. Giving to groups who already do this is fine, with an eventual goal of starting something somehow unique, but from the get-go I want something to be publicly in her name.

Has anyone started anything like this before? I've been collecting names of groups who do similar stuff all over the place, and will be calling them on Monday, but I could use all the tips I can get.

I feel discouraged about this, after visiting ACCT and SPCA. The adrenalin-stoked terror and disbelief are settling into numbing shock and sorrow; it makes it harder to feel driven and competent, though I know that I have learned enough training techniques to help dogs. Am I really just reinventing the wheel? I just want something to keep me going and working, and something out there that's meaningful to others and has her name on it. Is that foolish? I have someone who can help me with financial and legal logistics, and I think I have a fair number of people who would at least give something, but I want to do something amazing in her memory. She was too amazing for me not to.

She did not leave me empty-handed and I will keep her sweetness and her resiliency, her willingness to work and adjust, with me as best I can.

-Ellen, Tuva's extremely proud mom.

PS: I seem to recall there being a rescue category on here, but it's gone. I'd think that'd be a valuable thing to have, but maybe not enough people were posting in it.

PPS: Has anyone found my posts here to be useful? Do my training perspectives seem on point? If so I will try to stay involved, even dogless.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I think it's a great project to work on. It might be challenging but that might be what you need. You might also want to consider a more simple approach-helping dogs at the shelter (for walks, training, whatever). They can always use extra help if the other doesn't end up taking all of your time :) If you can manage to be around other dogs again, this might be a good way of giving them a chance to have the life you would have wanted for your sweetheart.

You should definitely stay involved in the DF community! We love to keep people around and support you while you're having a difficult time-losing your best friend is painful, and a lot of other members can sympathize. If you enjoy reading and replying to posts or just need some extra support, you're more than welcome :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts