Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So me and my girlfriend rescued a dog on Friday. We introduced our beagle first before we brought Addie home and they got along fine the first day, even sleeping in the bed together. Since the first night Addie has snapped at our beagle and lunged towards her. I don't want it to escalate more than that, I understand she's probably stressed and it seems like she gets jealous when we show our beagle alot of attention. But how do I keep her from snapping and lunging?

·
Registered
900 Posts
You may have introduced her into the household too quickly. Sometimes it is recommended to have the new dog separated, preferably through a baby gate, so the new dog can get used to their new home without being overstimulated and overwhelmed. This could be why she is reacting this way to your resident dog.

Every time a new dog comes into my home, I always gate the new dog off so all dogs can get used to each others presence and the new dog will feel safe until everyone settles with the new addition. Going for calm walks together on neutral ground can also help 2 dogs get used to each other without accidentally feeling threatened by each other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would make sense, I'll keep them at an distance. They have both been sleeping with us, so should I take Addie out of the bed for a few days?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I guess it depends on how they react in the same bed with you. I normally do not have new dogs together unsupervised until I feel confident they get along and have learned each other's body language. Each case is different though, so if you feel confident they can sleep peacefully at night together, then go for it. :)

I am also not saying to have the new dog separated all the time, but in the beginning I do for about 3-7 days (maybe longer or shorter depending on reactions from both sides). Then go for walks together and hang out together for short periods of time and increase as they get more and more comfortable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts