Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
How old is he? And how old was he when he was first surrendered to that animal shelter in the south? If he was very young it's likely that he wasn't trained as a hunting dog. If he's older, it's possible. But then again, being attentive to commands and having a high prey drive doesn't mean he was trained as a hunting dog, but rather he has the predisposition to be a good one. Personally I would try seeing if he responded to typical commands--sit, stay, down, etc. I can't say I know much about hunting dog training, but no matter what you train a dog to do, the basics are almost always the same.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
@kylobernese sometimes when they dock their tails like that it's because they want them to be hog dogs.

Reactions: rescuebecca

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Less noise? Like from the wagging? Tails are docked off hog dogs and other hunting dogs (and ears are cropped) so the dogs aren't injured by the animals they are hunting. Tails and ears can't be tugged or ripped, which would weaken the dog and make them vulnerable to further injury or death. This is also why dog fighters crop their dogs' ears--less for the competition to hurt them with. Not that I condone such practices, but this is the reasons behind them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.