Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the end of October of 2015, my family adopted our second dog from the Humane Society of West Michigan (adopted 4 all-together). This organization had received him from a kill shelter somewhere in Louisana. The HSWM takes a number of dogs from the south that are on "death row" to give them another chance up here in Michigan and he had been a part of this process.
He had been labeled as a boxer/lab mix ut we think he is much more than that, and may have been much more special than they were leading on. His coat is a deep brindle, being darker along his topline. I believe by definition he has a black mask. He has a splotch of ticked white under his chin and then a thin line of white leading down his neck to a patch of white on his chest that then leads by a thin line to his underside. All four feet are white. He came to Michigan un-neutered but we wanted him neutered. His dewclaws were removed and his tail docked when he was transferred up here. He has longer ears and a very strong, athletic build. After proper food and exercise daily he has thickened up and has muscular definition on his shoulders and thighs.
He has a very docile personality and extremely loyal to me. His bark is long like a coonhound. He knew things when he came to me and I'm slowly figuring out more of what he knows. He stands on his haunches frequently to reach things and is very attentive to commands. He stalks cats and chases bunnies, but what young dog doesn't? Anyway, I'm just wondering what he could be crossed with other than lab. My dad thinks bluetick coonhound but there has to be other possibilities. And is there any certain hunting dog commands that I could use under a scenario to test if he knows anything more than what's on the surface?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Kyllobernese I'm not sure... however I looked up Plott Hound images and Wow! Spitting image of my dog!
@traciek88 Would they dock their tails for hog dogs to prevent extra noise while tracking? I was watching him stalk a bird this morning and he goes about it low and very quietly/carefully then takes off full throttle towards the bird, seems like that might be useful as to instincts of a hunting dog breed...?
@annageckos @The Dogs Before Time I posted some in an album on my profile, titled Zeus. I hope they help :) if not let me know and I'll post more!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.