Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I adopted a lab mix dog from the animal shelter who had been in there for two months. She was lactating when I got her. I had her spayed 5 weeks ago and was told she would stop lactating in a couple of weeks. She is worse than ever and now is actively dripping all the time. She also continually licks and sucks herself. I can't find a vet around here to give her medicine to dry her up and I'm told to just wait it out. In the meantime I have her in an inflatable collar but she can still reach the last three teats and they are huge. I made a diaper kind of thing for her to try and save the carpets, but none of these measures are drying her up. I've also fasted her for 24 hours from food and water and restricted food and water for the next couple of days. I've done that twice so far. She is underweight so I hate to do that too often.

I live in an apartment right next to the dog park so she gets plenty of walks and exercise, including running free at a nearby lake a few times a week. She is a wonderful dog except for the excessive lactation. Any ideas on what else I might try to get her dried up? Or if there's some magic words I can use to get a vet to actually do something. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
Time for a second opinion. It should have resolved by itself, but since it hasn't and the vet isn't taking the issue seriously, I'd be bringing her somewhere else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your support. I took matters into my own hands since the vets weren't listening, and ordered Cabergoline from an offshore pharmacy and it took all of 5 doses to dry her up. She's not even licking any more. I imagine it will take a couple of months for the larger teats to retract, but at least she is more comfortable and I'm not having to deal with milk dripping all over the carpets. Small rant -- I don't know why the medical community (animal and people docs) won't listen to their patients. I've gone off-shore for my own meds as well at times. At any rate the dog is happy and so am I.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts