Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my dog 2 months ago after losing my senior dog to old age. When I went to the shelter they told me she liked other dogs, kids, and cats. Their exact words were “she’s the perfect dog”. That perfect dog has now snapped at my neighbors dog, tried to bite my father, and barked (air snapped?) at someone that tried to pet her.
In my opinion she is a very nervous perhaps fearful dog. I’ve done a lot of reading on poisiyive training/reinforcement but I’m not sure what is best for her. Since she’s finally calm in the house (even with my father) I wonder if it’s not better to simply keep her away from people she doesn’t know and all dogs?? I can’t really expect random people on the street to. be willing to give her weeks to warm up to them.
I don’t want to make her live in isolation but I’m not comfortable keeping a dog that has bitten someone. I’m trying to find a dog trainer but I live in a small town without a lot of resources.

·
Registered
187 Posts
To be honest, I also own an anxious wreck of a rescue dog, and did not know his issues until after the adoption either. He too doesn't like other dogs or unfamiliar people.
I don't see the problem with simply managing this. When I go out in public with my dog, I keep him close, carry a muzzle in my bag (just in case), and am always vigilent and ready to tell someone not to pet him. My pup is almost eight, so I don't think a small amount of behavior improvement is worth all the stress for him and me. I know his triggers and am able to avoid them.
Though I don't think you need to isolate your dog. My dog and I are able to do things together if we plan well. We LOVE hiking, camping, and going to the beach.
If you want to try and change your dog's behavior, that's great too. Someone else will have better advice on that than I could give you. Good luck with your pupper!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. She’s not really isolated, I’m just comparing her to my last dog who went everywhere with me. She is very good with my family now and my parents watch her during the day. And she is great with my niece and nephew. I guess I just wonder if it’s worth the stress and possible danger to everyone involved to try and modify her behavior. She still gets 5-6 walks a day they’re just very carefully timed walks to try and avoid the neighbors dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts