Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey everyone. Long story short I've fallen in love with a stray dog in Cambodia and been looking after her for months. I need to bring my girl home with me otherwise she will be left on an island by herself with no one to take care of her and there's already so many starving/dying dogs I'm just a backpacker who got stuck here due to Covid. so don't have any money myself. if you could check out my page any help would be amazing.

·
Super Moderator
1,618 Posts
I'm sorry I have had to edit your posts as asking for money is against forum rules.

·
Super Moderator
1,618 Posts
Sorry, like I said we don't allow requests for funding. I do hope you find a solution but I'm sure you will understand that some people use fictional stories to scam people, so to protect our members asking for money is against forum rules.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ah... too bad. I backpacked my way around the world twice (once to the left and once to the right) and I've seen SOOO many suffering strays in SOOO many places... it's like sandpaper to your soul, so I can certainly relate to what the OP is saying.

In India I actually euthanized one. It had been hit by a car outside of the place I was staying and its back was broken. For almost two days that dog laid there in the street suffering and whimpering but at that time in India stray dogs were seen as a pest and literally nobody seemed to care.

IIRC someone also told me that it was part of the Hindu religion to allow the gods to do their work without human intervention. At the time I accepted this because I wasn't clear at all about the contours of Hinduism. Looking back I think he was just a coward who wouldn't euthanize the dog because he was afraid of the karma.

I couldn't afford to take the dog to a vet to be euthanized because, like the OP I was a backpacker and only a few bad decisions away from being destitute myself..... so I went to a pharmacy and bought enough medication to put an elephant to sleep, ground it up into one dose in my hotel room. I went out in the middle of the night when only a few people were around and force fed the dog the brew. He was out in a minute or so.

... and it was UTTERLY and COMPLETELY heart breaking. If I do go to Hindu hell for that then Kali can kiss my proverbial buttocks because I would do it again tomorrow if faced with the same situation. I guess the best measure of a person's spirit is to know if you would do it again... and I would.

So yeah, I understand the OP not wanting to sacrifice this dog to his fate.

·
Super Moderator
1,618 Posts
@dogslife, please don't ever doubt your decision, you did the right thing.

And, I really hope the OP finds a solution. But I have seen it before where less scrupulous posters create a back story, draw people in, and are later found to be complete fraudsters. I am not in any way implying this is the case here, but I'm afraid it is for this reason that the forum has made this rule.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sorry, like I said we don't allow requests for funding. I do hope you find a solution but I'm sure you will understand that some people use fictional stories to scam people, so to protect our members asking for money is against forum rules.
Yes, I do understand that this could be a scam. Since this is the internet, it's also more likely to be a scam than a legitimate story.... I'm fully aware of that. I also respect forum rules so I'm not going to ask you to do anything other than what you have done.

·
Super Moderator
1,618 Posts
If anyone feels strongly about this, the moderators have no access to exchanges in private messages. We strongly advise against giving money to strangers but you are all adults and are perfectly capable of assessing your personal risks and making your own decisions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts