Dog Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
This is a great post. I would condition the dog to a crate. And work crate training as a safe place.

Your dog will absolutely love his crate if you have any more big parties and just wants to get away. And training will be so much easier to be honest. When the entire world spirals out of control into a crazy post-apocalyptic party for the dog. Well the dog needs a safe small enclosure where he feels safe and nobody will bother him. A crate is a great place for this.
My dog was stuck in a crate literally 24/7 for at least a year. When I got him, his ribs were flat on one side from lying in the crate so much.

He's never going to be okay with a crate. Just never. This dog might not be, either, and stressing her out on top of all the other stress isn't a great idea.

I'm not sure why the OP couldn't put the dog in her room and close the door, but that would be my advice in that situation.

·
Registered
906 Posts
So some of you know I've been struggling with my rescue Beago since I got her nearly three months ago. We had been making decent progress in a lot of areas - and then Saturday happened. She's still very afraid of strangers, but my roommates had a huge party. About 30 people came. It was very stressful to Emmy (the pup) and she barked and growled and hid under the table a lot. I felt bad for her, but I had to stay at the party - my only option was driving her somewhere and I STILL can't get her in a car because of that phobia.
I'm just really curious about why you couldn't have found a bedroom/bathroom/closet for her during the party?

So after the party, we all started noticing changes. She's growled at everyone in the house. Her major nipping is back in such full force that people are asking me if I'm being beaten by my BF. She's lunging at us on occasion. She's snarling and acting pretty aggressive. She's completely panicked around strangers on walks now when that was getting better.
I'm guessing that from her point of view, her 'safe' home was suddenly invaded by all kinds of people, she was completely overwhelmed, she could do nothing to make her place safe safe again. So she's 'learned' that the world is not to be trusted, even the people she was previously beginning to trust. So, she's responding by going on the offensive in the hope that such a bad thing will never happen again. Very unfortunate, for her and for you and your roommates.

This isn't all the time, just sometimes,
Even dogs have good and bad days, just like people. Some days, that annoying co-worker hardly disturbs your calm; other days, even though nothing is different, they're just the biggest PITA ever. On her more confident days, she's less likely to try her offensive manoeuvres than on those days when she's feeling less confident.

Today she was fine, then I left for errands and my boyfriend texted me and said he went to get her off a table she jumped on and instead of her being fine like usual, she snarled and lunged and growled so much
How was he planning on 'getting her off'? If he was going to lift her physically, or push her (albeit gently), that is probably why. If you need to get her to do things, you might try luring instead. For the table scenario, toss a treat on the floor and as she jumps down to get it say "Off". Try to arrange things that she makes the CHOICE to do what you want, rather than trying to force her. (Not always possible, I know).

everyone in the house had to throw a blanket over her and put her outside.
Goodness! How many is "everybody"? Sounds like people panicked a little; and this was no doubt the absolute worst thing that could have happened for her. Ideally, she would have been calmly approached and invited off the table, allowed to make her own decision. But if that didn't happen and snarling/lunging/growling occurred, the very best next option would have been to leave her alone. Look away, speak calmly, act as if nothing is really wrong. Give her time to calm down, and then gently ask her to get off the table again.

Was it such a trigger that she'll never be normal again or get better? It's so stressful - I have no idea how to help her. I have no idea what to do. I need help!!
She needs a place she can feel safe within the household, for starters. A crate, if possible. An Ex-pen, maybe, if she won't go into a crate. A bedroom or even closet she can go into, if neither an ex-pen or a crate is possible. Everybody in the house has to ignore her, except the people she trusts the most, perhaps you/your boyfriend. You/your boyfriend hand feed her, you do not yell at her, or physically force her to do anything. You turn yourselves into the safest people she knows.

The only time she interacts with anyone else in the household is on leash, under the direct supervision of her 'safe' people. The other people ignore her, and let her approach. You/your boyfriend praise her and give her food whenever you are allowing housemates to be around.

I do not know if she'll overcome this, she may completely recover, partially recover, or never recover. A lot depends on you. The important thing for you and your housemates to realize is that she was afraid when you got her, she was starting to trust, and then she was put into an extremely unsafe (in her view) situation.

You should probably think about her rehab taking anywhere from six months to a year, and investigate everything you can about counter-conditioning and fearful dogs. Fearfuldogs.com would be a good place to start, if you haven't already checked it out. You might also consider medication to help her learn to trust the world again. There are some different kinds available, but may take some time and experimentation to figure out what works for her. We tried clomicalm for my dog, who is afraid of people, which was not successful, but Zylkene has helped a lot.

Good luck. I know from experience how hard this kind of dog can be, but believe me, the rewards as the dog learns to trust is worth it.

ETA: Somehow I completely missed the other two pages of this thread. I'm sure much of my advice is repeating what you've already been given - cause we do have great people on this board - but what the heck, I'll leave it up anyway.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Not all dogs like crates, some do, some don't, some can be trained to like them, others never will.

Reactions: almostbritain

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Ok this is getting a little out of hand. This is a reminder to please review the rules if necessary. A few in mind:

1) Be nice. If you can't be nice, be civil. If you can't be civil, don't post.

2) If you have issues with somebody or with a post or you feel you're being attacked, REPORT IT. Some of you already have and we appreciate that! We are looking into these concerns right now.

And finally 3) Stay on topic! This post is about finding solutions for the OP. Not squabbling over crating or sources. I've removed some of the back and forth, unhelpful posts. Any posts from here on out should be aimed at helping the OP

·
Banned
64 Posts
Make a crate a safe zone:

Feed out of crate next to crate. On favorite blanket/bed. Feed all meals here. Treat for going in force free. Keep crate door always open.

Throw pieces in. Reward constantly.

Slowly move bowl food slightly in crate Then eventually deeper in crate.

Always bowl feed in crate. Eventually put favorite blanket/bed in crate.

If you don't have a favorite blanket/bed its advised to get one. It teaches a nice place command the dog like to stay on. I actually have more than one.

The benefit of a crate with company is a highly fearful dog that gets into a similar situation as the party has a spot where it can go to to relieve stress.

·
Banned
64 Posts
People will always have parties and can't always take dog somewhere else.

Also If you can put a dog in a safe place like a crate to avoid bad interactions. It's a great tool.

Dog will be comfortable. People will be comfortable not having to run and throw blankets on dogs.

In life these experiences arise with pet dogs. So rather be prepared than be caught again with no solution for the dog. Leading to more problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sorry, admins, this DID get a little out of hand while I was away. Not my intention. I saw the "A friendly online community for dog lovers" at the top and, silly me, thought I would get friendly, yet helpful/constructive advice here. I now know that many here are very quick to judge and will make some of us feel even worse about ourselves while trying our best at raising dogs.

Seems some of us are going around and around in circles. I understand she should've been put in a crate or a room but every room was filled with people. Yes, even mine. She has a severe confinement phobia to the point where you can't even close a door to change clothes without her completely freaking out. I will not stress her out more by shutting her up in a closet (who does that!?) or forcing her into a crate when she's not ready for that yet.

To those of you that were actually nice on this post, thank you. I got some mild sedatives, we've left her alone a lot, we're praising all the good, I've started hand feeding her some which she's isn't fond of, but tolerates, and we're changing a few things we do with her daily. She's acting quite normal again, but a little timid. She has not lunged, snapped, or growled at anyone in days. She's doing a little better each day. I think she will recover just fine and our rehab can continue.

I have not had a dog in over 3 years. I have never rescued a dog this age before. I am new at this, and am learning, and to be honest a lot of you made me feel like I should just give up. I will probably not return to this forum after this experience.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have not had a dog in over 3 years. I have never rescued a dog this age before. I am new at this, and am learning, and to be honest a lot of you made me feel like I should just give up. I will probably not return to this forum after this experience.
Sorry you feel your experience here has been bad. But you did get good advice, so why not focus on that instead of the negative?

·
Super Moderator
3,745 Posts
Hi AlmostBritian,

I hope that you'll stick around. Unfortunately, your thread was hijacked by a former member who mainly seemed to want to argue and debate his points endlessly on whichever thread he could take over. Thankfully, he's now been banned again, and the mods had a lot of cleaning up to do. I'm really sorry that there has been so much unnecessary and unproductive drama on your thread, especially when you deserve better. There are many of us who really care about you, your dog, and about keeping this site a friendly forum. I personally don't have enough experience or expertise to give you practical help, but I hope that you'll continue to explain your situation and take that advice which seems to best fit your circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Sorry, admins, this DID get a little out of hand while I was away. Not my intention. I saw the "A friendly online community for dog lovers" at the top and, silly me, thought I would get friendly, yet helpful/constructive advice here. I now know that many here are very quick to judge and will make some of us feel even worse about ourselves while trying our best at raising dogs.

Seems some of us are going around and around in circles. I understand she should've been put in a crate or a room but every room was filled with people. Yes, even mine. She has a severe confinement phobia to the point where you can't even close a door to change clothes without her completely freaking out. I will not stress her out more by shutting her up in a closet (who does that!?) or forcing her into a crate when she's not ready for that yet.

To those of you that were actually nice on this post, thank you. I got some mild sedatives, we've left her alone a lot, we're praising all the good, I've started hand feeding her some which she's isn't fond of, but tolerates, and we're changing a few things we do with her daily. She's acting quite normal again, but a little timid. She has not lunged, snapped, or growled at anyone in days. She's doing a little better each day. I think she will recover just fine and our rehab can continue.

I'm sincerely sorry that your experience has been a bad one here.

I know I'm one of the ones that suggested a closet, but I NEVER meant to suggest that you shut the door on her just that it be a place she could voluntarily retreat to if she choose. My own dog does not use his crate when he's afraid, but has chosen under my bed, and under the couch as his two safe places. I thought if your dog was to large to choose something like that then a closet or behind the couch may work. Again I'm sorry if it seemed like I was saying that you should shut her in there.

I'm glad that your dog is slowly recovering and is doing better. You're an awesome owner for not giving up.

Reactions: almostbritain

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
@almostbritain - do you think anyone hurt her at the party? :( I know it seems crazy and far fetched but just a thought.

Do you have a trainer that you work with? If so, have you mentioned it to them?

How is she settling down now? Still on edge?

Do you think you could have a small group of people over and gauge her reaction? Each person can give her treats, a belly rub or toss a ball- whichever her favorite thing is.

Please keep us posted on her progress. Fingers crossed for you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi AlmostBritian,

I hope that you'll stick around. Unfortunately, your thread was hijacked by a former member who mainly seemed to want to argue and debate his points endlessly on whichever thread he could take over. Thankfully, he's now been banned again, and the mods had a lot of cleaning up to do. I'm really sorry that there has been so much unnecessary and unproductive drama on your thread, especially when you deserve better. There are many of us who really care about you, your dog, and about keeping this site a friendly forum. I personally don't have enough experience or expertise to give you practical help, but I hope that you'll continue to explain your situation and take that advice which seems to best fit your circumstances.
Thank you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm sincerely sorry that your experience has been a bad one here.

I know I'm one of the ones that suggested a closet, but I NEVER meant to suggest that you shut the door on her just that it be a place she could voluntarily retreat to if she choose. My own dog does not use his crate when he's afraid, but has chosen under my bed, and under the couch as his two safe places. I thought if your dog was to large to choose something like that then a closet or behind the couch may work. Again I'm sorry if it seemed like I was saying that you should shut her in there.

I'm glad that your dog is slowly recovering and is doing better. You're an awesome owner for not giving up.
No, you're one of the few who helped! I get the feeling everyone here has nice closets. I can't even stand inside of mine, haha. I couldn't imagine putting her into that tiny thing - it's smaller than her crate.
She goes under the kitchen table a lot now that she's discovered there's a vent there. So she can hide and get cool.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
@almostbritain - do you think anyone hurt her at the party? :( I know it seems crazy and far fetched but just a thought.

Do you have a trainer that you work with? If so, have you mentioned it to them?

How is she settling down now? Still on edge?

Do you think you could have a small group of people over and gauge her reaction? Each person can give her treats, a belly rub or toss a ball- whichever her favorite thing is.

Please keep us posted on her progress. Fingers crossed for you!
No one hurt her. I watched her like a hawk. She was always within my sight. But plenty tried to approach her and pet her even though I kept insisting everyone ignore her and not pet her.

I haven't heard back from a behaviorist yet, but we don't have a trainer as of now.

She's settling down pretty well right now, but we do have a couple of people coming over later today. I'll meet them at the door with cut up hot dogs and a small speech.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts

Oh, I do hope you'll stick around. It honestly sounds like our dogs are cut from the same cloth and it's always nice to have people on the forum who are fighting and learning alongside me :)

I think a behaviorist is a good idea; I'm getting started with one myself. I think it can take some time to find one that clicks with you, so do be patient.

It's a very long road with these dogs, but ultimately I do believe it's rewarding. It's just very slow going and I have to remind myself to be patient all. the. time. :)

It's especially hard when you have roommates and parties 'pop' up. I am in college but moved home as it was cheaper; I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be if I lived in town with my friends and had people over all the time. Chisum would lose it.

As far as suggestions go, do you think she'd like a tablecloth (if you don't already have one) on the table, so she could go under there and still have that 'den' feeling. No idea if it will work, but it's a thought.

Otherwise when you get a behaviorist, I would discuss reasonable alternatives when there is a party over, or when other guests come over. Maybe conditioning her to being in some room that you can somehow prevent people from, or a kennel area outside (weather permitting), or even leaving her with your behaviorist for an evening if you know you're going to be having a big event. I'm sure s/he'll be able to brainstorm with you a little better.

Good luck to you!! (Good luck to us both, haha). Considering the amount of work you're willing to do with this dog, she couldn't have found a much better home.

I'm sorry some were a little rude to you here, some people are just like that, others are just concerned. Too often dogs with laundry lists of problems are not handled well and end up rehomed (and usually not into an ideal situation) or they are put down, which is a tragic fate. Sometimes nothing could have really been done; other times if the owner had a speck of common sense it wouldn't have turned out that way. I do NOT think the latter is the case with you, but sometimes it can be hard to tell via the internet.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts