Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so usually Jessie at home i may have trouble getting her to give me a treat once got hold of it and chewing it she wont let go but and i mean BUT never have i had her do the following from reading the sticky:
(btw just glad this wasnt an excercise during CGC to take treat off dog or it would of been massive fail!) just as well its after cgc assesment

Freezing in place/hard staring me out/giving evil eyes
Placing face against the object, putting more paws on the object
Growling at me and later at my mum when i asked mum to see what happened if she tried.

Dad and i really told her off and shouted which shouldn't of done but how do you tell them off for it? How do i go about getting her to relax with treats after all and i know she probably doesn't know this but why would i want a cardboard looking venison ear or any dog treat they look horrible to me.

Ozzy wasnt there but charlie was away from her eating his nicely and she has never growled at me and i feel upset hurt and worried. please help me correct the way to deal with this!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I don't tell them off for it. That moment, when they are guarding, is not a teaching/learning moment. It is a management moment - if it's something you absolutely must get away from her, toss something high value across the room, ask her to go outside, whatever it takes to get her to leave the object and then take it while she's occupied.

RG is something to address in very deliberate, set up training scenarios. I don't have time to type up a whole response but basically you are going to start when she has a high value chew at a distance that is under threshold, be trustworthy, and add even more amazing things (tossing or dropping high value treats) rather than trying to take away the amazing thing she already has.

Separately from the chews, you can play two-ball and other trading games with lower value toys to teach her that giving you stuff is fun.

"Mine!" is a really good guide to training and managing RG in dogs. It's actually one of the more easily addressed behaviors IMO as long as you don't rush it and don't punish.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't tell them off for it. That moment, when they are guarding, is not a teaching/learning moment. It is a management moment - if it's something you absolutely must get away from her, toss something high value across the room, ask her to go outside, whatever it takes to get her to leave the object and then take it while she's occupied.

RG is something to address in very deliberate, set up training scenarios. I don't have time to type up a whole response but basically you are going to start when she has a high value chew at a distance that is under threshold, be trustworthy, and add even more amazing things (tossing or dropping high value treats) rather than trying to take away the amazing thing she already has.

Separately from the chews, you can play two-ball and other trading games with lower value toys to teach her that giving you stuff is fun.

"Mine!" is a really good guide to training and managing RG in dogs. It's actually one of the more easily addressed behaviors IMO as long as you don't rush it and don't punish.
Thanks for your reply! oh ok not a teaching/learning moment that kinda makes sense as she looked to be locked in that space. I wish i had video it but it took me by surprise ive never had her growl at me.

The venison ear wasnt a must get away from her but just to see if she was still ok with me coming up to her with it and give to me for a second. however it was a venison hoof id have to take it off her half way through or gasses you out. only high value i can get treat wise is ziwipeak treats as that many intolerances :( i will bake some of her current food though she cant beat that surely!?

So i put the venison ear near her but throw ziwipeak ones to distract her? and if i have to get a treat off her to distract her from it with a high value treat like ziwipeak and wait till outside till pick it up correct? would a favourite toy be ok instead of another treat? she loves these flashing squeaky balls i got her and a few others.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
When you are training, let her have the ear and just casually toss treats TO her and/or drop them as you walk by while otherwise ignoring her. You want to teach her that you add things to the situation instead of taking them away. Start far away and gradually get closer, then when she's totally relaxed as you walk by (no tensing, hunching) you can start handing her the treats.

In the moment where you must get something away from her, throw the treat far enough away so she has to get up and leave it to get the treat. That's not training it's just management, but works for those times you HAVE to get something from her.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you are training, let her have the ear and just casually toss treats TO her and/or drop them as you walk by while otherwise ignoring her. You want to teach her that you add things to the situation instead of taking them away. Start far away and gradually get closer, then when she's totally relaxed as you walk by (no tensing, hunching) you can start handing her the treats.

In the moment where you must get something away from her, throw the treat far enough away so she has to get up and leave it to get the treat. That's not training it's just management, but works for those times you HAVE to get something from her.
Oh awesome thanks so much you are so helpful! i will certainly do that on regular basis! thats easy to do. Will let you know how we get on :) why do dogs think we want to steal thier treat when it looks ugh to us? do they really think we are going to take it off them for longer then few secs and eat it? my dad was saying i resource guard galaxy chocolate bars( i tensed up and insticviely tried to grab it knowing it was for me as dad got it for me earlier in the week and then dad wanted me to share it all and get me another later that wasnt good enough lol so waited till everyone went and then ate it)

But obviously i need Jessie to relax about it all to realise that i wont do that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts