Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired this male Belgian Sheepdog 11 months ago. He had just been shaved due to flea allergy and hot spots. His new undercoat seems normal but his top coat seems dry, crimped, thin and wirey. I give high quality food, omega oil supplements, lots of brushing and vitamin e. How do I get a smooth, shining, silky coat again? Tia
img_20210428_143339_6097022002660816579.jpg

·
Registered
701 Posts
I only really know about grooming schnauzers, but have you tried an undercoat rake?

I'm in the process of hand stripping my pup's coat, before I got the Andis deshedder tool, his coat was mixed with brownish dull soft undercoat which made the coat look dry, faded and messy. I wish I took pics, but after using the tool, his coat was shiny jet black and laid flat.
This is the rake I got

It will also dematt and remove loose dead hairs that create matts and look dry.

I know when schnauzer puppies are growing their wire coat, carding (which is raking) out the undercoat is the priority to help encourage new top coat to grow in.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't know anything about that breed, myself, but I do know about border collies. If their coats are shaved they almost never grow in the same again, and this may be true of Belgian shepherds as well. Probably the only thing you can do is what you are already doing and give it time. Perhaps in a year or so it will look and feel better. It might not ever be the same as it was before, though.
In any case, I think you have a very beautiful dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know anything about that breed, myself, but I do know about border collies. If their coats are shaved they almost never grow in the same again, and this may be true of Belgian shepherds as well. Probably the only thing you can do is what you are already doing and give it time. Perhaps in a year or so it will look and feel better. It might not ever be the same as it was before, though.
In any case, I think you have a very beautiful dog.
Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts