Dog Forum banner

Reoccuring Conjunctivitis

857 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Zookoo 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My dog has grass allergies, so after I take him out I would rinse him with water. I don't use shampoo to retain his natural oils.
That seems to prevent his itchy body and he doesn't get hives anymore.

However, every 2 months he would start pawing at his eyes which leads to conjunctivitis. I've been wiping his eyes with warm (slightly salted) water every day, but it doesn't seem to prevent the eye itchiness.

I always take him to the vet when it happens and he always gets a steroid injection and antibiotics. But this doesn't seem sustainable if I need to take him to the vet every 2 months.
If he takes too many antibiotics, his immunity may resist it over time.

I'm not sure if anyone in this forum has had similar problems?
And is there a natural way to prevent conjunctivitis that I could try?

Cheers,
Sandra

See less See more
#3 ·
I do a full rinse after I take him out on walks and to the park, including his paws.
Although, I don't normally rinse or wipe him after letting him out to the backyard for a short potty break, as he gets quite fidgety when I grab his paws. Thanks for the suggestion! I could give that a try if all else fails.
I am also curious about @Schnauzaluv 's allergy management now that you mentioned :)

#6 ·
I am also curious about @Schnauzaluv 's allergy management now that you mentioned
My boy has an allergy to ragweed, a very common allergen in my location. I didn't do anything special, just made sure to always wash his paws when he comes in from outside. I dip his paws in a tall yogurt container with just water, sometimes a drop of dish soap. (I don't like to use very much shampoo either) You say he is not a fan of getting his paws wiped, I wonder if you could train him to allow you to do paws? I started just asking for his paw and giving him a high value small treat. Then release. I did this everyday, slowly adding a bit of paw message to the equation. I was surprised how he now gives me a paw (like rests it in my hand) now when I ask. Almost like a trick. Just since you are wiping paws so often, it might be worth it to try to make it a better experience.

I also got him a cheap jumpsuit he can wear if it gets really bad, it's just a light nylon with leg sleeves like this
Trousers Dobok Outerwear Dog Dog supply

I use it for heavy rain and wet snow too.

Finally I tried giving him a bovine colostrum supplement powder to boost his immune. It's 'mother's pre milk' (cows or buffalo). I can't scientifically say it works, but I felt it helped enough that I got some for my own allergies. I was going to try to explain the benefits but it would be better just to read about yourself here Top 12 Benefits Of Colostrum For Dogs - Dogs Naturally

#4 ·
You can also supplement with omega oil, which has helped my girl's grass allergy significantly, but talk to your vet about which would be suitable for your dog. I see we're in the same country - I use Cen Oil, which has been amazing if you can get it.

Maybe even some lubricating eye drops to ease the irritation? These are non-medicated and safe to apply as often as you like.

#5 ·
Hi MaisieAndGem,

Its funny that you mention Cen Oil as I just came across their website a few hours ago!
Its great to hear your dogs have great results from the oil. Do you own a Staffy and Mini foxie?
My dog is a Jack Russel cross, but I think he has a bit of Staffy in him and I heard Staffies tend to get rashes, so perhaps they're similar.
Have you tried Cen's Digestive+?
I wasn't sure whether to try a combo of Cen Oil and Digestive+ , or just try the Cen Oil for now.
Thanks for the suggestion!

#7 ·
Hi @Schnauzaluv ,

Thanks for letting me know how you've managed your dog's allergies! Wow I had no idea the benefits of Colostrum or even heard of it until I read your response! Thanks for the link, I'll definitely look further into this. The benefits sound pretty good!

I'll also try getting him used to the paw wiping. He is used to showers since I give him one every day, so I should try and make the paw wipe a regular thing so he gets used to it.
Thanks again for sharing! I appreciate it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.