Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My dog, Misty, is an almost 13 year old adopted mutt - about the size of a Ridgeback. She had a hard start to life and tended to be a bit anxious, but has really mellowed out the last couple years. She has a seizure disorder and takes meds daily for that, and also recently was diagnosed with a fully torn acl in her back knee. We chose to treat her with anti-inflammatory for that rather than the surgery, given her age and her seizures. And she's done great, no limping, chases balls, goes for walks as normal. Recently (2 months?) she started chewing on her back leg, and now will not stop licking it. It's getting really raw and looks gross. Vet suggested keeping it dry as best we can - but she won't leave it alone. There are NO CONES in this town! We spray it regularly with hydrogen peroxide, I've tried a blow up cone which she popped, liquid stuff that is supposed to taste bad but she didn't mind it (she eats her own poop!) and had some success with wrapping it with gauze and sponge tape... it was almost fully healed until she figured out she can chew that off at night. I'm at my wits end. Anyone been through this and have suggestions?? I've started giving her an extra dose of the anti inflammatory at night (splitting her daily dose into 2), thinking maybe her joints are hurting and thats why she's chewing? I am actively trying not to have to take her in because she is unbelievably anxious at the vet and often has seizures after. ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED!! Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,669 Posts
I feel your pain. Or my dog does. I have a soft cone on him right now because he's been licking away on his fore paw. I can't take him to the vet because of the pandemic. (They are only accepting emergency cases right now.)

Does your vet not have any cones? Have you tried asking them? You could try ordering one on-line. I like the soft fabric cones better than the hard plastic ones. The trick is to get one long enough.You can also do a Google search for DYI dog cones. Here's a link, for example:

(Disclaimer: I've never tried to make my own cone. Use your best judgement!)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Need to break the licking habit, probably with a cone, which I'm sure are available online, probably amazon, or perhaps chewy. I think there are clear ones available, so she would still have her peripheral vision.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts