Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a 9 week old puppy 7 days ago and she's been an amazing puppy except she's been causing my older dog (10 years old) diarrhea and he seems super depressed. He used to sit on my lap and now he won't come near me if the puppy is around. I tried gating her off from him and she just whines and whines and I think it stresses my other dogs out more. She just wants to play with them and they growl and snip at her and the diarrhea from my oldest I felt so bad. He has arthritis and the puppy will NOT leave him alone.

We already have 3 dogs so she was our 4th. We lost our 4th dog last month so we wanted a replacement for our kiddos. I feel like this may be a little bit of the puppy blues for me too and regretting getting another dog.

So do I re-home her to save my 10 year olds health and sanity or just keep trying for my kids?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm not knowledgeable on this problem at all, but in your situation I think I would put the needs of my older dogs first - the 10-year-old may be too old to adapt. This will set a good example to your children, even if they are bitterly disappointed.

Also, the pup will have a much better chance of finding a perfect new home if this is done now rather than waiting a few weeks or months to see if the older dogs adjust.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You have a debt of responsibility to your older dogs. If this puppy is having a negative impact on their health you need to speak to the breeder or shelter you adopted from. As @JudyN says do this sooner rather than later so that your pup has the best chance of settling into a new home.

Anyone can get it wrong, its what you do next that really counts.

·
Registered
452 Posts
In first place I never think you should get a dog only for your kids. So therefore keeping the dog only because of the kids is not an adequate reason.

You’ve only had the dog for a short period of time so it’s possible that it could work with time. But you should never get/keep a dog as a replacement for the other dog for your kids. As mentioned above, the earlier you decide to rehome her, the better are her chances.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts