Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Eveyone,

I have just gone and got a new companion who by all means is a beautiful looking pedigree Malinois.
Mother could be seen, but father not present.
I have been assured they are pedigree and certainly look exceptional for the breed, however no reason as to why the puppies or mother were never registered.
I have purchased the puppy without papers and I'm happy with her without.
My question is can you get your puppy registered without the parents pedigree papers.
Maybe a DNA test ?
Will be taking her for a full health check to make sure their is no underlying health issues, which someone brought to my attention after.
Any advice on this, any would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
To my knowledge, no you cannot. You have no way to PROVE that the mother and father are pure-bred, so kennel clubs won't allow you to register your puppy as a purebred dog.
An option would be to register as a PAL/ILP (Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege) which allows you to register your dog to compete in events like Rally/agility etc, but not conformation.
I'm not sure where you are, but in Canada, it is illegal to sell a purebred dog without papers. Once you purchase a dog, the breeder has 6 months to deliver the papers to you.

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for this information, I'm in the UK.
Laws around pedigree dogs are a bit grey to be frank. The information you have given me makes perfect sense in regards to proof of parentage though.
Many Thanks.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have just gone and got a new companion....
~Mother could be seen, but father not present.
~I have been assured they are pedigree......
~the puppies or mother were never registered.
~purchased... puppy without papers
~I'm happy with her without.

*can you get your puppy registered without the parents pedigree papers.
*Maybe a DNA test ?
*taking her for a full health check......someone brought to my attention after.
>>>Any advice on this, any would be much appreciated.
Basil,

I read your comments and and can't help but think you bought your dog from a 'back yard breeder' They have no interest in improving the breed, just in making money off of people. Many don't do a thing to insure the puppies are healthy, not even 1 vet visit....much less have more intense health checks like a real breeder would do.

All those questions you asked, probably should have been asked before you went puppy hunting, as you are probably already figuring out.

But your first comment suggests you are happy to have a "Companion Animal".

If this is the case, then you will probably have her spayed at some point and that kind of nullifies any reason to have papers for her. I hope you don't ever want to breed her since she's not registered. It sounds like she was not bred to carry on the well understood breed qualities as breeders of 'show dog' quality dogs try to do.

If you have her as a companion, then hopefully she will be and remain healthy....and you have many happy years together. I hope if you ever wish to buy a purebred dog again, you will check into the breeder and get proof of parents registrations, and puppy vet care...etc...

Btw, you didn't mention what you are going to name her. : ) She's a lovely puppy.

Stormy

Reactions: traciek88

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Typically if your dog and her parents don't have papers then you can't register them with a kennel club. I know the US has an alternative for purebreds but really all the registration is just pomp and bragging rights. You have a beautiful puppy and I'm sure you'll be happy together. Make sure you go to some classes and do lots of training! Malinois are intense.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Stormy,

I respect your views, but have to disagree. The papers are to give me a possibility of problems that may lie ahead in the dog, sadly I don't have that and seemingly their is more issues with registered dogs than not registered ones. I completely agree about back yard breading, but I also think there should be some diversity getting threw the lines.
I know Mals very well and their is something spiritual about them, they show you your true self. Very intense, but very rewarding.
As soon as she is 12 months of age I will be getting hip scores, eye tests etc etc. Insurance is a killer... Ouch !!!
This puppy is of exceptional quality I have to say, I know that's biest but hey. Truth is truth.
I appreciate your concern and should have taken more time to consider breeder rather than dog, I think I still would have gone with this puppy though.
Even without the papers. X

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Tracy,

Thanks for response, forum is great.
So much information. !!!
I live in the country and I'm retired, single, 31 and love hiking the hills and mountains of Scotland.
Luna will be swimming in lochs, hiking mountains and no doubt be a wonderful companion.
I think I have to agree about the papers, they do not give any guarantees that your dog will be healthy or free from disease. I think they actually tell you that your dog is more likely to be affected by disease and poor health because of size of gene pool.
Thank You for all your comments and advice.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
That's one stout looking Mal pup.

If Luna lives up to the breed potential as well as you, the handler, you can have the most wonderful companion but you already know that :)

Have fun and enjoy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.