Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
As ost of you know I have four Border Collies, my problem is with my "middle bitch". Rusty guards mainly food and only towards the other dogs. She has never resource guarded towards me, she might try and run off with a piece of meat, but that's usually meat given to them, not stolen items. Now I've read both the resource guarding sticky on this forum and some other internet advice and I think I understand how to tackle the problem. What I'm unsure of is which dog to use to aproach her with. Her worst problem is with my other (year older than rusty) bitch Xena, second in line is Zorro the male and then to a much lesser degree her daughter Jess.
Tonight it got so bad she blindly stormed Zorro, knocking his bowl of chuncks and chicken stock over. It doesn't matter if I feed her first, last or make her sit for her dinner, as soon as the second bowl hits the ground all hell breaks loose! :mad: So I ask again, who do I use to approch her first? Zorro who defends himself, =Xena who cowers in fear, or Jess towards who she is the most tolerant? Worst part is she's coming into season, so temper is not what it should be anyway. ;)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
You should start with whichever dog she has the weakest reaction to, what is your plan exactly? Give her an item and lead another dog up to her? There are a few steps you could and should do prior to avoid a blowout
Posted via Mobile Device

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I'd also suggest that you could take steps to better manage things during feeding to prevent these mishaps until you can get the RG dog desensitized. I've actually installed screw eyes into the wall to attach leashes to, so my dogs can be easily tethered in place whilst eating. It prevents the musical bowls phenomenon in my house. They don't RG really, but there is less stress for my male dog if he does not have to worry about my bossy female dog giving him the evil eye during meal times.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Perhaps her heat time is not the best time to start the training with the other dogs yet, just manage the dogs well, and do some preliminary work for the next 3 weeks, then start as Crio suggests once the heat is over.

Sometimes it helps to cool the situation and reaction if you just give everyone a break for a while from the tension... that is prevent the RG triggers for a bit of time to set the stage better for the actual training. Perhaps this heat period is the perfect time to chill them all out for a bit.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone,
Chriosphynx, is there any other way? What steps can I take to avoid to avoid a blowout? I would be very glad if I can avoid it.
Tess yes I was thinking of using the dog she's most accepting towards. Any ides for managing the problem is definately wellcome.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
There needs to be work done with a barrier first. Like a babygate or xpen. You should also be marking and rewarding any looking at the trigger dog from whatever distance works.

Basically start far away click/treat the rg dog for noticing the trigger dog. No matter how upset she is. Then work closer over many sessions. Once she can eat comfortably with only inches between them (and the barrier) start the whole process over with distance again and no barrier and with the rg dog teathered. Once thats kosher you start all over again with the rg dog loose and the trigger dog on lead. THEN you can progress to both dogs loose

The book "mine" has the heirachies laid out and you could just modify them for dog dog vs dog human. But anyway. My point is that just walking them up to each other is like step 70 in a 100 step process. :).

Have you read the reactivity sticky? You'll prob find useful pointers inthere also
Posted via Mobile Device

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Here is the book "Mine" Crio is talking about. Definitely need to read this before starting.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the book "Mine" Crio is talking about. Definitely need to read this before starting.
Thanks a million guys, this is why I come to dog forum for advice. You will always put me on the right track. I saw that book mentioned in another post and am planning on downloading the e-book version tomorrow. Quicker and easier, especially since amazon no longer ships to SA.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts