Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first of all, here's the album of the problem from just a moment ago which shows the location and scale: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

And as for the story: I have a 6yo dog (bernese mountain dog-like mutt :D) and some time around two weeks ago I spotted a wet spot, around 1.5-2cm in diameter, completely flat around right side of his neck. It wasn't painful to the touch and I guess it was a result of scratching so it may have been itchy. He's tried to scratch it now and then - not like he was trying to do it all the time but from time to time he did.

After I spotted it, I was using baby powder on it to make it less itchy and dry it a bit. As a consequence, a scab appeared and within a week it was gone and new, clean skin was visible and hair started to grow there.

The problem is, after the scab went away, apart from the fresh, healthy skin underneath, a red pimple also appeared (which was not visible initially or during the forming of the scab) and it's there for the past 5 days or so, getting neither larger nor smaller. It still isn't painful to the touch, it's no longer itchy I guess cause my dog doesn't try to scratch there any more than the norm but still, it's there.

What could that be? I'm gonna visit the vet in the upcoming days but still, since I can't manage to do this today and I'm not sure whether I'll be able to tomorrow, I figured I might as well ask and see if maybe someone had already seen something like this and may hazard a guess what that is :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Lumps and bumps on dogs can be a little scary at first. There are so many different things it can be. However, according to the picture, it looks very similar to what our dogs have on them as well. My own dog (whose actually sitting right next to be right now :)) has a few on him. They are white near the tip and pink near the base and hard to the touch. When they are cut open they bleed but usually they just sit there and do nothing. They have been there for over a year and haven't changed. These nodules may be benign tumors, or in your dogs case it could be scar tissue.

However, because it was associated with itching before hand, you may want to look into it being something else like an allergic reaction, bee sting or bug bite, a reaction to a shot (our dogs have gotten itchy bald patches from vaccinations and they remain for life, never going away).

This might help you some:
Causes of Solid-Appearing Lumps & Bumps on the Skin of Dogs

All and all, I wouldn't be worried about it being dangerous. Watch to see if it changes color, changes size or shape, and if the dog begins to react to it like it itches or hurts.

I hope this helps. :) The vet will let you know for sure if you need to worry or not.
Best of luck! :thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts