Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I noticed a red lump under my dog's chin about 2 weeks ago. I took her to the vet and they performed a cell sample thru a needle. The results came back negative and she went on antibiotics for a week. Its been about a week and sent pictures to my vet, pictures attached) but was curious if anyone here has seen something like this or has any thoughts on what this might be.

She is a 8 yr old spayed Female australian shepherd.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Years ago we had a cat that developed acne on his chin. It looked similar to the photo you attached. If the antibiotics don't clear it up I would get him to another Vet.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Did you ask your vet what the 'negative' result means? We do cytologies all the time and I have yet to have a 'negative' for an answer. We may get 'inconclusive', or possible lipoma, or no sign of neoplasia, or at least something that describes what the lab sees (total lack of cells sometimes if we sent in a poor sample for example)... but 'negative' is not really a possible description of a cytology sample... negative for what? Doesn't make any sense... particularly with that huge, inflamed mass on your dog's chin.

Quite impressive. I think a biopsy is in order, particularly if it is continuing to grow- you putting any ointment on it? If so, and it's still growing, I would remove it ASAP.. I can guarantee if you send in a biopsy of your mass, you will not have a 'negative' for a description of the it (that would be even more meaningless).

Several things that come to mind... histiocytoma, ring worm carion (a skin fungus), infected lump of skin (bacterial)... but there are hundreds of possibilities really.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi dlebla, my 10 month old cattle dog pup has the same exact thing in the same exact place! We are worried to death. Went to the vet and they're doing a culture sample for ring worm. But was wondering if you had gotten a diagnosis? Did they say it was a histiocytoma possibly? Appreciate any response/feedback. We left the vets office feeling less knowledgeable about our pups condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts