Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 year old beagle has red, itchy, flaky, scabby skin. He's been biting at his paws a lot recently, and he's the most red near his crotch. A couple weeks ago he had what the vet called an allergic reaction to something. He couldn't stand up, and his face just looked pale. We rushed him to the vet, and when they got him to the back he threw up. After that he was fine, and they said he may have gotten bit by something or he just has allergies. They told us to give him benadryl daily, so that's what I've been doing. We also switched his food. It seems like his red skin has gotten worse. His eyes have cleared up, and his ears look a little better, but his skin is looking very bad. I'm very worried about him. Any ideas what this could be? :(

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He was on Purina Dog Chow but we switched to Beneful Healthy Weight because he's overweight. He's been on the new food about a week now. Our other beagle also threw up last night, which is very unusual for her. :( I'm assuming that was the food change, but I'm thinking the Beneful should be better for them in the long run...

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
If you aren't going to go with something like Blue Buffalo, then I'd stick with the Purina, or switch to Pedigree or Iams. Beneful has lots of added dyes and that can cause allergies in dogs and might be why your two are getting sick on it.

If you are suspecting a food allergy, the allergy will most likely be to the protein source in the food, and if memory serves me right the protein source in the regular for dogs lines of Purina, Pedigree, and Iams is a combo of chicken and beef, so your going to have to look for a food without chicken and beef in it then feed it to your dog for at least 6 weeks to see if the skin clears up. You'll also have to avoid anything else, like treats or table scraps, with chicken or beef in it or you'll mess up seeing if it's the food causing the skin problem.

Is there any chance your dog has fleas? Fleas can also cause skin allergies and it only takes one flea bite to set off a reaction.

Has he been tested for a skin infection? He may have a bacterial or yeast skin infection.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The yellow paws would concern me, I'd get him back to a vet ASAP and have them do a scraping and then possibly an elimination diet to rule out a food allergy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be calling to make an appointment first thing Monday morning, but I don't think it's something he needs to be seen right away as an emergency, right? I want to take him to the dog dermatologist, but they don't work on weekends.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Do you give any kind of treats?
I agree to either go back on the purina or something that does not have dyes and low grade ingredients (red dye 40 is not good) Did the itching and red skin happen before or after you switched food?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Beneful is probably a worse food than Purina.

Yes, to a vet visit.
And if you want to do a food trial, find a novel protein, novel carb food for him and stick with it, and NOTHING else (no treats or biscuits) for 6 weeks to see if that helps.
(that is go to a pet food store and ask for advice on a simple, few ingredients food for dogs who might have allergies.)

I would start with a vet visit.

Reactions: DLo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's been red and licking/biting at his paws for a while, long before the food change. It just seemed to have gotten worse because I don't remember it being that bad. Before I started him on the Benadryl, his ears and eyes were very red. Both have cleared up since then, even though his ears do seem a little red still. The only treats I've really been giving him is oven roasted turkey to wrap up his Benadryl in.

He also seems to be shedding a lot of hair. I just gave both my dogs baths and then went to brush them afterwards. My female beagle hardly had any hair at all come out. But when I brushed my male beagle it just kept coming out and coming out and he really did not like it when I brushed him. I'm assuming it was irritating his skin, so I stopped.

He'll be going to the vet as soon as I can get him in, will be calling first thing Monday morning.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Would it cause the redness as well?
Not normally.....Is the hair loss only where he is scratching?
How long has his skin been red? Did you have the carpet cleaned? Yard sprayed...use new laundry detergent? New dryer sheets? anything he lays on could be causing the red irritated skin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The hair loss was mostly on his back where I was brushing, not sure if it's related. He may just be shedding. The only thing I could think of was our backyard we have grass and my husband has been seeding it. Maybe the grass seed could be irritating him if he's rolling around in it...

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
It could be the dust from the seeds if he is walking through it and laying down in it. Is he also fertilizing it? You can try keeping him off the grass to see if it subsides. It looks like a contact allergy or irritation.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
It could be an allergy, but it could be a medical issue. It's best to rule out medical causes before trying to figure out allergy ones.

Whatever the cause I'd get him off the Beneful. I generally say feed the best food you can afford to feed, but don't feed Beneful, or Kibbles and Bits. There are just way to many dyes in those two foods on top of not having the best of ingredients. Just like in people food, if the food is highly processed, and is pretty and colorful, it's been dyed.

Reactions: Tess
1 - 15 of 15 Posts