Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
5,937 Posts
Theres a few options ive been through the anal gland mill btw with my Jessie.

Express the anal glands via vet but doing this too often can be very costly and not good for the dog but ugh the smell.
If lots of infections can get them flushed out and see how that goes
Try a raw diet especially pre made
Anal gland removal.

I didnt do the raw diet till after the surgery few months later. But i did the rest even tried prunes nope didnt work. Anal gland removal though distressing on 2nd/3rd night especially and seeing how bruised her bottom was :( it was worth every second of that discomfort says Jessie and i. No more anal gland being expressed every 4-10 days , no more infections in them that wouldnt go away and no more smell from that end and she is so much happier dog her quality of life has improved so much!

Reactions: albelee

· Banned
5,937 Posts
Stools need to be firm to express the anal glands otherwise they fill up quickly dogs are supposed to express them naturally when go for poo

· Banned
5,937 Posts
Wouldn't a raw diet cause softer stool which is less effective in "expressing" anal glands? Or is the raw diet reducing the potential for food allergens that is may be causing the inflammation?
Actually raw diet after a week or so you introduce bone in pieces and the bone firms up the poo so they need 10% bone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.