Dog Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My terrier mix is 3.5 and has always been prone to this condition. He's been on Avoderm dry (w grain), is highly active and generally has solid quality poo; most of the time.

This recent inflammation concerns me as it's now been 4 days. I've put on the cone, he poos at least once a day (stools are soft, not diarrhea), we do our daily runs on the beach, but his appetite is not voracious (which is unusual) and we have to force him to drink water (blended with chx broth).

I have't yet taken him to the vet, curious to know how others have dealt with pets who have chronic inflammation of anal glands? Any and all feedback or comments are appreciated!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I know someone whose dog had a ton of problems with their anal glands. I don't entirely remember what the nature of the problems were, but they ended up having to get them removed and finding a vet that would do the procedure was tricky.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know someone whose dog had a ton of problems with their anal glands. I don't entirely remember what the nature of the problems were, but they ended up having to get them removed and finding a vet that would do the procedure was tricky.
These glands aren't vital to his survival or quality of life??! Calling my vet now and will get them removed if indeed true.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
My terrier mix is 3.5 and has always been prone to this condition. He's been on Avoderm dry (w grain), is highly active and generally has solid quality poo; most of the time.

I would try a food that already has moisture in it . Fresh pet has some great food. My dogs love it and do very well on it. It only has a few ingredients and all of them good.
Freshpet - Vital® Balanced Nutrition Turkey Dog Food Recipe with Peas, Carrots & Brown Rice
I would also add some chopped up organic prunes to the meal every other day.
I have been using them for years on my hound when he was on dry food. Now that he eats food with moisture in it the problem seems to have deciphered. Go to a health food store and get the organic ones without sulfur and give 2 chopped up once every other day. I don't know why this works but it does. Please try it before having something cut off. This is a simple fix and it works.

·
Registered
112 Posts
They can be removed, or sometimes under anaesthetic an antibiotic can be injected directly into the gland to help clear up an infection.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Theres a few options ive been through the anal gland mill btw with my Jessie.

Express the anal glands via vet but doing this too often can be very costly and not good for the dog but ugh the smell.
If lots of infections can get them flushed out and see how that goes
Try a raw diet especially pre made
Anal gland removal.

I didnt do the raw diet till after the surgery few months later. But i did the rest even tried prunes nope didnt work. Anal gland removal though distressing on 2nd/3rd night especially and seeing how bruised her bottom was :( it was worth every second of that discomfort says Jessie and i. No more anal gland being expressed every 4-10 days , no more infections in them that wouldnt go away and no more smell from that end and she is so much happier dog her quality of life has improved so much!

Reactions: albelee

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I would try a food that already has moisture in it . Fresh pet has some great food. My dogs love it and do very well on it. It only has a few ingredients and all of them good.
Freshpet - Vital® Balanced Nutrition Turkey Dog Food Recipe with Peas, Carrots & Brown Rice
I would also add some chopped up organic prunes to the meal every other day.
I have been using them for years on my hound when he was on dry food. Now that he eats food with moisture in it the problem seems to have deciphered. Go to a health food store and get the organic ones without sulfur and give 2 chopped up once every other day. I don't know why this works but it does. Please try it before having something cut off. This is a simple fix and it works.
So is it soft stool that prevents effective "expression" of the anal glands during a bowel movement OR a food allergy(s) itself that is causes the actual inflammation? I'm going to try organic prunes and the freshpet as suggested, thanks!

PS. What exactly do you mean food that already has moisture in it? What is that?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Theres a few options ive been through the anal gland mill btw with my Jessie.

Express the anal glands via vet but doing this too often can be very costly and not good for the dog but ugh the smell.
If lots of infections can get them flushed out and see how that goes
Try a raw diet especially pre made
Anal gland removal.

I didnt do the raw diet till after the surgery few months later. But i did the rest even tried prunes nope didnt work. Anal gland removal though distressing on 2nd/3rd night especially and seeing how bruised her bottom was :( it was worth every second of that discomfort says Jessie and i. No more anal gland being expressed every 4-10 days , no more infections in them that wouldnt go away and no more smell from that end and she is so much happier dog her quality of life has improved so much!
Wouldn't a raw diet cause softer stool which is less effective in "expressing" anal glands? Or is the raw diet reducing the potential for food allergens that is may be causing the inflammation?

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Stools need to be firm to express the anal glands otherwise they fill up quickly dogs are supposed to express them naturally when go for poo

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Wouldn't a raw diet cause softer stool which is less effective in "expressing" anal glands? Or is the raw diet reducing the potential for food allergens that is may be causing the inflammation?
Actually raw diet after a week or so you introduce bone in pieces and the bone firms up the poo so they need 10% bone.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
PS. What exactly do you mean food that already has moisture in it? What is that?
Wet food like canned or fresh pet has rolls that are kind of like canned food Honest kitchen you add water to the dehydrated food to make it wet.
Home cooked food or even raw has moisture in it. I think it the kibble that is the problem because it is dry. My dogs used to drink high volumes of water when they ate kibble on wet food they don't.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts