Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I posted a week or two ago about my Standard Poodle, Yoshi, who had been experiencing problems with bloating and pancreatitis. She had a gastroplexy to prevent further bloating and has been on a drip and fed through a tube in her stomach. She'd recovered so well from the surgery that they sent her home last weekend to see if I could persuade her to eat. She went for a stroll in their garden for 15 minutes with me the day before they sent her home (still with the tube in her stomach and they taught me how to feed her through the tube).

Unfortunately, they hadn't caught that she had pneumonia. Also, she hadn't been able to digest the food that was in her stomach and I think that caused her alot of discomfort. We brought her into our local vets for temporary treatment that night and then back to the referral vets then next morning. I convinced the vet to give her a chance to recover and indeed, she started to accept a bit of food a couple of days ago and even managed to stand a couple of times after being helped to her feet. She was so happy that she wagged her tail. It has helped tremendously that she has spent some time (mostly laying on rugs) outdoors in the garden area at the vets with me. She is perky and bright, but has edema in 2 legs due to low protein levels. Fluid is now weeping through her skin and the vet has just started adding a synthetic protein to her drip.

I absolutely adore this dog and don't want her to suffer unneccessarily. At the same time, I want to give her every opportunity to survive. Has anyone dealt with a dog recovering from starvation, particularly with swelling? Any tips?

Her overseeing vet will meet with me Monday morning to discuss whether her body is accepting the synthetic protein and where to go from there. If the protein is not working, I will need to seriously consider ending her misery.

Thank you to the people who posted good wishes after my previous posting.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Oh my...what a tough dilema...after trying so hard and doing so much, I feel bad saying that perhaps, as you said, this last treatment doesn't work...it might be time.

Good luck to you. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Im so sorry your going through this-she sounds like a trooper!

I've dealt with a ton of starved animals through my volunteer work. Basically you have to ignore the urge to over feed them-it causes problems. You want to stuff them so they know they'll never be hungry again but it can make them sick, upset their systems and even cause abnormal bone growth in some.

We always always fed them very 'easy' food (Horses or rabbits -just lots of alfalfa hay, dogs -chicken and rice with a small amount of butter) and allow them to slowly put weight on. Also probiotics like benebac can help-if the vet says it's ok.

I'm sending lots and lots of {{HEALING VIBES}} for your dog and {{PEACE VIBES}} for you. You'll make the right decision.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Im so sorry your going through this-she sounds like a trooper!

I've dealt with a ton of starved animals through my volunteer work. Basically you have to ignore the urge to over feed them-it causes problems. You want to stuff them so they know they'll never be hungry again but it can make them sick, upset their systems and even cause abnormal bone growth in some.

We always always fed them very 'easy' food (Horses or rabbits -just lots of alfalfa hay, dogs -chicken and rice with a small amount of butter) and allow them to slowly put weight on. Also probiotics like benebac can help-if the vet says it's ok.

I'm sending lots and lots of {{HEALING VIBES}} for your dog and {{PEACE VIBES}} for you. You'll make the right decision.
Great advice Mikey!!! Bloat can be caused (especially once the dog has had it) by over feeding so this was a real good point to make!

I too am sending vibes your way, it is difficult to go through so much and then wonder if it was just the bad choice for your dog. She sounds like a super fighter and I hope she makes it through.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You

Thank you for your kind replies. The vet had asked to meet with me first thing this morning, so I was anticipating a negative recommendation. Indeed, the synthetic protein did not work and he recommended I put her down. He said she would need to eat full meals to recover, which I knew she wouldn't. She ate 3 thin slices of chicken from a sandwich-style packet this afternoon. That was the most she had been willing to eat yet in one go since she started eating again. I think the hardest thing for her was not being to be able to get up and winding up lying in her own pee until somebody checked and cleaned things up. I'm not sure I would do that to a dog again and yet, don't regret giving her the chance to live.

She had never been a greedy dog; never overweight. In fact, I used to praise her when she ate. I was terribly attached to her and even took a career break from my job to accept a PhD studentship so I could spend more time with her in what was to be her last year. In her final weeks at the vets, I drove 1.5-2 hours each way to sit with her for 3-4 hours each day.

I brought her home from the veterinary hospital and our local vet came to the house to give her her final injection. She stared at me the whole time.

Thanks again. Perhaps sometime I can post advice instead of asking.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I am so sorry to hear the unfortunate news. That has always been the hardest thing in my life, making the decision and following through. May she rest in peace and see you at the rainbow bridge.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. That's really wonderful you were able to be with in her final moments and have the vet come to her home to do it. You couldn't have given her a more loving home, or a more peaceful send off. *HUGS*

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am feeling terrible remorse for putting her down. I wonder if bringing her home and changing her environment, instead of bringing her home to die, could have turned things around for her. The vets would not allow me to visit her the day before they recommended I put her down. They told me to come in first thing in the morning the day after I wasn't allowed to see her to hear their recommendation and indicated that I needed to put her down quickly. She had been able to stand after being helped up the previous day and wagged her tail. Yet, when I saw her on her last day, she could barely move.

This was a highly reputable veterinary practice, but I wonder if they got it wrong. They certainly missed the fact that she'd caught pneumonia. I felt pressured because they said they were concerned her canula would come out and they would not be able to get another back in, therefore causing her additional distress if her condition worsened. The vet did not discuss exactly how much food she would need to eat. He frightened me with stories about how unpleasant it would be if she were allowed to deteriorate further, but did not say how quickly her condition would likely deteriorate. He'd been pressuring me for a week to consider putting her down, but even he seemed cautiously optimistic at times when she showed improvement.

I know there's nothing I can do to bring her back, but wondering if I've been a sucker to veterinary tactics to get rid of an animal that creates alot of work for staff. This veterinary hospital was staffed 24 hours/day, but seemed to be understaffed much of the time.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
these are normal feelings...its ok...everyone second guesses after they euthanize a dog. I did it myself.

I think personally its worth it to the vet hospital to keep the dog ALIVE from a monetary standpoint.. I have seen so many animals that should be put down kept alive at vet recomendations.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I am so sorry for what you are going through :( I once put a dog on meds which led to him peacefully going in his sleep, I regretted ever putting him on the meds to relieve his issues but remembered it helped him feel better and allowed him to go peaceful. I think you did everything in your power to change the outcome, sometimes its better to let them be peaceful than to suffer for a long time. You are in our hearts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts