Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 year old bouncing, energetic and happy mini goldendoodle. She suffered severe anaphylactic shock a week ago today from what the vet believes was a sting or bite of some kind. Luckily my mother in law was the one to have found her she almost didn't make it. While at the emergency vet she responded to the prednisone/bendryl antidote. All labs were clear (temp, blood count, stool, urine). After 2 days we brought her back to the vet that she was very lethargic and out of it. They reduced the benedryl and continued just predisone 5 mg 2x a day for 3 days and then 5mg 1x a day for 2 days and then 1 pill every other day. After 2 more additional days she showed some return of activity and personality. However, over the weekend she had diarrhea with mucus in it and again was very lethargic. Wouldn't want to walk, wasn't responding to her name, wasn't getting up off the floor. We tapered the prednisone to 2.5 mg over the weekend per the vets recommendation and are giving her a probiotic. Her diarrhea is better now but her personality is altered and she has no energy or interest in doing anything. She is eating and drinking fairly regularly (just chicken and rice).

My gut tells me something else is going on. But is it possible she is severely depressed? Anyone experience anything like this after a trauma?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have 2 year old bouncing, energetic and happy mini goldendoodle. She suffered severe anaphylactic shock a week ago today from what the vet believes was a sting or bite of some kind. Luckily my mother in law was the one to have found her she almost didn't make it. While at the emergency vet she responded to the prednisone/bendryl antidote. All labs were clear (temp, blood count, stool, urine). After 2 days we brought her back to the vet that she was very lethargic and out of it. They reduced the benedryl and continued just predisone 5 mg 2x a day for 3 days and then 5mg 1x a day for 2 days and then 1 pill every other day. After 2 more additional days she showed some return of activity and personality. However, over the weekend she had diarrhea with mucus in it and again was very lethargic. Wouldn't want to walk, wasn't responding to her name, wasn't getting up off the floor. We tapered the prednisone to 2.5 mg over the weekend per the vets recommendation and are giving her a probiotic. Her diarrhea is better now but her personality is altered and she has no energy or interest in doing anything. She is eating and drinking fairly regularly (just chicken and rice).

My gut tells me something else is going on. But is it possible she is severely depressed? Anyone experience anything like this after a trauma?
After trucker's anaphylactic incident he was lethargic for about a week or two. I took him a lot of sleep to get back to himself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That has happened to both of my dogs, and it was SO SCARY! My dog went #2 on the vet's floors and had trouble holding it in for a couple days. Chances are you're dog is recovering and just needs rest and it's a good sign they are eating. HOWEVER, I don't think it would hurt to get a second opinion to put your mind at rest. Do you know of one you could take her to? Maybe you could even call around and ask for advice. Still, try to be calm as I'm sure your baby will be just fine. I know how scary it can be when our babies are sick! Please keep us posted!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts