Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello this is my first time coming to this forum and I would like some advice.
Yesterday my 10 yr old mixed mutt went into emergency surgery for Pyometra and came out with no complications according to the vet. He said she should recover since her bloodwork was good (the only thing not normal was her white blood cell count) but since I've come home she's still lethargic and her gums have paled and I'm scared she's on her last legs. I've tried offering her food as for the vet's request but she denies it even when I water it down to a slurry. She will however drink a TON of water. I've been offering her warm water occassionally mixed with pedialyte and she will drink the entire bowl ONLY to regurgitate it out. I've tried elevating her head after she drinks and burping her just so she can at least keep SOMETHING in. The vet advised me to email them when their hours are closed because they're more likely to respond but I haven't gotten anything from their email. Can anyone help me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
I'm sorry you dog is not feeling well!
What I would try (and note, I am not an expert, just what I personally would try):
Don't let drink the whole bowl. Let her drink a little bit and then take it away. After 10-15 minutes (depending in which intervals she was vomiting it up right now, so make sure she is over the "vomit time") just give her a little bit more.

I hope this helps!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rain

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,780 Posts
How long since the surgery?
Was she keeping water and food down at the vet?
How does her incision look?
What's her temperature?

If it has only been a day or two since surgery she may still be nauseated from the anesthesia.

If she were my dog, I'd either try to wait till the vet was open then get her in first thing, or if she even got slightly worse I'd get her to the e-vet. Waiting would also depend on if I suspected that the nausea was brought on by an infection, if I did I'd get her in to an e-vet whether or not she seemed to be getting worse.

If her incision was looking more swollen then it originally was, or was looking red and inflamed, and/or if she's running a temperature I'd also get her to an e-vet, since both of those indicate it could be an infection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for not replying right away. Right after I made this post I realized the vet's office just opened so I immediately called them. They told me to bring her in immediately and that's what I did. They gave her two shots, one for antibiotics and the other for her vomiting. Her prognosis didn't look good but I went ahead with the shots anyway just for that glimmer of hope and took her back home to her heating mat. I'm sorry to say about an hour from coming back home she didn't make it. I'm devastated and she left this world with a daughter who is only 2 days old (this pregnancy was completely unwanted and I was unfortunate enough to catch it too late. I was hoping she could give birth to them naturally but within 24 hours of her first pup I brought her in for an emergency checkup). I do realize this could have all been prevented if I just spayed her years ago and everything that happened to her was my fault. I feel awful that she had to go this way and I'm absolutely devastated.
Thank you guys for all the advice I appreciate each one of them. I'm sorry this couldn't have come to a better outcome.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,780 Posts
Sorry for not replying right away. Right after I made this post I realized the vet's office just opened so I immediately called them. They told me to bring her in immediately and that's what I did. They gave her two shots, one for antibiotics and the other for her vomiting. Her prognosis didn't look good but I went ahead with the shots anyway just for that glimmer of hope and took her back home to her heating mat. I'm sorry to say about an hour from coming back home she didn't make it. I'm devastated and she left this world with a daughter who is only 2 days old (this pregnancy was completely unwanted and I was unfortunate enough to catch it too late. I was hoping she could give birth to them naturally but within 24 hours of her first pup I brought her in for an emergency checkup). I do realize this could have all been prevented if I just spayed her years ago and everything that happened to her was my fault. I feel awful that she had to go this way and I'm absolutely devastated.
Thank you guys for all the advice I appreciate each one of them. I'm sorry this couldn't have come to a better outcome.
Oh I'm so sorry!!! I know it is breaking your heart. Don't blame yourself to much, just take the lesson you learned and apply it to any other dog you get. I've had to do that in the past, or the guilt I felt over my dog passing away would have destroyed me.

Just by your post I know that your girl was well loved, and must have had a great life with you. That's more then so many other dogs have. If the puppies are still alive then treasure them.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top