Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my pet first aid/CPR class (would *highly* recommend it btw, if there are any if your area) and I realized that I do not have a thermometer for Ellie in my first aid kit. I have only used rectal thermometers before on my cat (bless her for not biting my hand off) but I had a few complaints about the thermometer I used, so I would love to know what you guys use.

The one I used before was a baby thermometer with covers but the covers had this nasty sharp edge at the sides of the sleeve from where it was manufactured and I ended up not using them. You could feel it was sharp just by running your finger over it and I didn't want to make this any more traumatic for her than it needed to be. But do you guys use covers or no covers? Covers are more sanitary (as long as they're not sharp!) but I toss the cover and disinfect the thermometer after every use.

Anyhow, thoughts or recommendations? They did recommend getting your pet used to having their temperature taken before you suspect something is wrong. I totally agree with the sentiment but I am sure Ellie will have some things to say about this

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
IME, any digital probe will do

I just use any digital temp-probe, & slip the tip into an INSIDE-OUT sandwich baggie, so that the hot-welded edge that's been sliced is *inside* the bag, & can't cut the animal's anus.

Flat covers are OK to use under a human tongue, if the human is old-enuf to co-operate & sit quietly with the probe & cover flat, in place -
for young children, that's too much to ask, & a touch-free temp reader that is swept across the forehead, works much better.

For all nonhumans, i take rectal temps with a baggie to keep the probe-tip clean, & if the animal is dirty [livestock, or a usually-clean indoor pet with diarrhea or any possible contagion], I put a glove over the wide end of the probe - the end i hold.
When i withdraw it, i lay it on a paper-towel, read the digits, discard the baggie & glove with freshly-gloved hands, & wipe the probe thoroughly with wet-wipes B4 i dry it with a fresh paper-towel, & put it in the case.
I don't want my probe to become a point of contagion.

- terry

·
Registered
785 Posts
Any that are smooth. I use the finger on dispisable glove. As terry describes above and mercury type as more acurate than digital.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts