Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 25 foot leash for my English Springer, so he can run in park fields and such without being off leash. He is reactive, so he can't go to dog parks. Our yard is small. I found a lovely dog park when I was working with him with an empty soccer field on the other side, also found a few wild places...things like that. I wouldn't want any longer in case a dog showed up. Recommendations?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I purchase mine at a local farm supply, they are called lunge lines, and I get the lightest one available. I like the flat nylon lines, cotton gets too heavy when wet, the flat nylon is okay to hang on to, and you can step on it to stop your dog if you have to stop the dog (yes, I've accidentally dropped the line at the worst of times--coyote distraction!)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I like this lead we bought off Amazon.com. It comes in different lengths and different colours. It is made of cotton, so it doesn't cut into your hand like nylon can.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have a 50 ft Lumino leash from Julius K9, but it is somewhat bulky but highly visible, and it works well holding a 200 lb dog. I would recommend against nylon because of the potential for causing injury, I have had a broken pinkie and skinned hands from a nylon long line when my dog took off after a rabbit. I agree with the above poster that cotton gets really heavy when wet, so I also would suggest getting a biothane long line. Here is a website that offers them in varying weights, colors, and lengths. It also has a good description of what biothane is.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I bought three from Petsmart many many years ago. I think they were cotton but I'm not sure. One just broke a week or two ago, but that was because I use them for Freyja attached to her tie out cord and sometimes she would bite it while chewing bones or playing with toys. It worked fine for my needs.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Petco and Petsmart usually have them. They are with the training gear section, not the leads and collar sections.

I agree with others on the be careful part. Had a 30' nylon lead and when Pax was a pup he took off after a squirrel with the lead inadvertanrly wrapped around my leg it left a nice rope burn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone! I ended up getting one on Amazon that starts at 25 but manually extends to 50, so of we are in the middle of nowhere he can run. Don't remember the name, but it is cotton, and wider...my dog is 59 lbs but has broke leashes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts