Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 1 year old springer spaniel has finally come into season for the first time. We are wanting to haver her spayed and are just wondering if anyone can recommend a sensibly priced vets in York, as we have heard horror stories regarding prices!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Hi,

My 1 year old springer spaniel has finally come into season for the first time. We are wanting to haver her spayed and are just wondering if anyone can recommend a sensibly priced vets in York, as we have heard horror stories regarding prices!

i don't live in new york, but you really should find a "regular" vet anyway. since i live in a small town, my options are limited and i chose my vet by asking other pet owner's where they take their furkids. my first choice in town turned out to be a big disappointment... my second choice was better, but i wasn't pleased with them at first, then i met a different DR in the same office and now i REALLY like them... i would grab a phone book, or google, and start looking up offices close to you first. you can get reviews from sites like angie's list. things i like in a vet are:
i think the #1 thing is the DR's bedside manner. i'm one of those annoying clients who reads up on pretty much anything they say to me and will ask all sorts of questions. i often take a small notebook with me and take notes, or ask for paper while i'm in the office so that i can write down everything they say. i also don't want them to dumb anything down for me (so far my current vet seems to appreciate this) i like it when they explain it to me and let me ask questions for clarification.
if they are upfront about price and treatment options. IME many are, but i'm on a budget and i like to have my options layed out for me. my dog actually is less stressed when i do some of the more "invasive" stuff with him myself, and i don't mind doing it so that "works" for me. i also restrain him myself during visits (for a 100lb dog this isn't exactly easy ;)) and again, my office has been very willing to allow me to do this. basically, i've built a relationship with them and we all sorta trust each other in order to give my guys the best treatment for them. they are also really open to me bringing him in without an appointment, just to be weighed and get a treat, so that he can have good experiences with them too.
what is their hospitalization situation, ie if your dog is kept overnight, are they there alone, or do they have 24 hour staff? are you comfortable with your ill/injured pet being left alone at night when hospitalized?
does the office offer their own e-vet services? OR do you have to take your pet to a different 24hr e-vet when there is an emergency?
i would say that the actual cost of services is on the list, but it isn't really high up there for me, unless they are charging much more then other offices in the area i don't really "shop around" for this, but you can always ask for a basic price list: basic exam, emergency/after hours fees, kenneling fees, vaccine fees, etc... i also use "care-credit" so you might want to ask what sorts of credit cards/pet insurance/payment options each office will accept.
lol, at the moment, that is all i can think of, but i'm sure others will have more "tips" for you on choosing a vet. you might also want to check out this thread on successful vet visits, so that you know what to do to prepare. good luck :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 2 of 2 Posts