Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Yay! This is going to be fun!

I'm cooking a pasta with oven roasted tomato sauce tonight! I don't have an exact recipe for it, so adjust to your preferences:

About 2 lbs of tomatoes or enough to cover a baking sheet when halved
1 medium sweet onion
6-10 cloves of garlic
1/2-1 c Fresh parmesan cheese
1/2 c
Salt/Pepper
EVOO
Dried Italian Herbs or a handful of basil and a couple sprigs of rosemary, oregano, and thyme

Half tomatoes (quarter larger ones) and place them cut side up on a baking sheet.
Thinly slice the onions and scatter over tomatoes. Mince garlic, scatter.
Drizzle EVOO and sprinkle the herbs, S/P, cheese and bread crumbs.
Roast at 350F for about 40min or until the tomato skins start pulling back.

In the meantime, cook pasta according to the box instructions but time it so they are done at the same time as the tomatoes. Drain and put back in the pot (no heat). Scrape everything from the baking sheet into the pasta. (If using sprigs of oregano/rosemary, remove them.). Mix well and serve with extra parm and basil.

Fresh Roasted Tomato Soup Alternative:
Follow the above directions, without the bread crumbs, and after roasting, scrape into a blender or processer and puree it. For a creamy version, add some cream and then process.

I'm serving the pasta with Garlic Herb Oatmeal Bread. I have the oatmeal bread pinned on my pinterest (crocker87) but at the step that calls for the flour/salt, I also add a Tbsp of garlic and 2 tsp of italian seasoning.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
OK, how about the acorn soup, I love acorn squash, but never have had the soup.

Will diabetic recipes be ok? They are low carb and calorie, can anything go.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will diabetic recipes be ok? They are low carb and calorie, can anything go.
Whatever you want to post :) Might be good to even label them at the top as low carb/low calorie/diabetic.

I probably won't post a lot of my own recipes here because I don't record anything... I put however much looks good and cook til it's done, lol. Maybe someday I'll pay attention and be able to write an actual recipe. However, I do have a lot of recipes in my bookmarks that I make fairly often. Since they aren't mine, I'll just post the links instead of copying and pasting.

This one is a first-time one but I'm already loving it.. it's almost done.

Adventures in Cooking: Roasted Pecan & Acorn Squash Soup

And I also made these rolls to go along with it

Averie Cooks » Honey Butter Pumpkin Dinner Rolls

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what we had last night, I was just throwing things together but let me see if I can remember everything..

Roasted Rosemary, Garlic and Lemon Chicken and Potatoes

Ingredients (adjust as needed.. I tend to source all of my stuff locally so I just use what I have)
6 Boneless skinless chicken thighs
2-4 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 small lemons
2-4 cloves garlic
Several small potatoes (I used probably 8 baby yukon golds)

Preheat oven to 375F.
Cut up potatoes and arrange in a baking dish with chicken pieces.
Mince garlic, and juice the lemons. Add lemon juice and garlic to dish. Mix thoroughly.
Strip leaves from rosemary and sprinkle over everything.

That's it! Bake at 375F uncovered ~40mins or until done. Chicken should be cooked through thoroughly and somewhat browned on top.

I don't recall exactly how long I cooked it for but it was really delicious, very moist and flavorful. :)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
we had "taco soup" at work today... YUMMO!

super easy, and fairly healthy:

saute onions and garlic, and brown 1lb ground meat (your choice ;)) with
1pkt of taco seasoning and
1pkt of ranch dressing seasoning

when done, add 2 15 oz cans of your choice of broth
1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can of pinto beans
1 15 oz can of kidney beans
1 15 oz can of corn
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes

and heat it all up

top with grated cheese
tortilla strips
sour cream
hot sauce
cilantro
whatever sounds yummy to you!

thats how we made it at work, if i make it at home i'll probably cook the dry beans, skip the corn and us fresh tomatoes since i don't really use canned foods. also, i would use homemade equivalents of the spice mixes...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Here's a meatball one, that my friends are crazy over. It's the season for hearty meals.

1lb beef
1egg
1/4 c milk
1/2 c bread crumbs (I use seasoned bread crumbs, but you can use plain)
1/2 teas salt
1/2 teas pepper
1 teas onion powder
1/4 c parsley
1 large clove garlic freshly grated
1/4 c grated cheese (I use 4c parmesan-romano)

Combine all ingredients until blended, do not over work mixture.
Form into size meat balls you desire, using either a melon baller for small or ice cream scoop for large.

I simmer them in the tomato sauce until done. They impart a nice flavor into the sauce.

If left overs, they make a great meatball sub.

Enjoy!

Now if someone has a home made pasta sauce, I'll be a happy girl.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
My favoritest cookies ever:

Soft Molasses Cookies

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions: Cream together shortening and brown sugar. Stir in egg and molasses and mix well. Fold in dry ingredients and stir. Cover and chill till firm (1-2 hours). Preheat oven to 350°. Roll dough into small balls and roll in white sugar. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes. Leave on sheet one minute until set.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Soft pretzals (found here: Homemade pretzels | Table Matters )

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (around 110 degrees F)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons if you’re using bulk yeast)
  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 ounces butter, melted
  • Vegetable oil, for bowl and parchment paper
  • 10 cups water
  • 2/3 cup baking soda
  • 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
  • Coarse salt
Instructions
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the warm water, sugar, and salt. Sprinkle the yeast on top of the water and let it sit for 5 to 8 minutes, until it gets a little foamy.

Add the flour and melted butter and mix on low speed until the flour is incorporated. Once there’s no risk of creating a plume of flour dust, increase the speed to medium and knead until the dough begins to pull away from the bowl walls, climb up the hook and appears smooth. This should take 3 to 4 minutes.

Remove the dough and shape it into a smooth ball. Grease the bowl with a little oil, place the dough ball into the bowl and turn it so that it gets a thin coating of the oil. Cover the bowl some plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out and a towel to keep it warm. Let it rise for approximately one hour, or until it has doubled in size.

Combine water and baking soda in a large, wide pot and bring to a boil.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and generously grease the paper. Set prepared pans aside.

Turn the dough out of the bowl and onto a slightly oiled counter top. Gently deflate it a little and shape into a ball. Cut dough into quarters and then cut each quarter in half (so that you have 8 pieces of approximately the same size).

Roll each piece of dough into a long thin rope and twist it into a pretzel shape (see above for detailed instructions). Place on the greased parchment paper.

When all the pretzels have been shaped, give each one a 30 second turn in the baking soda-spiked boiling water (a slotted spoon or spider is the best tool for this job). Return boiled pretzels to their positions on the baking sheet. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.

Bake pretzels until they reach a deep, brown color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Cool for a few minutes and serve warm (ideally with some coarse ground mustard). These pretzels are best on the day they are made, but can be refreshed in a hot oven on the second day. For longer storage, freeze them in a ziptop bag.

I didn't have any pretzel salt, so I grated chedder cheese over mine. If you plan to do that you might reduce the salt in the recipe by just a bit, they were a bit salty, but not horribly so.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Garlic Cheddar Biscuits

1 cup milk
2t sugar
1/3 cup mayo
2 cups self rising flour
(If you don't have self rising flour replace that with:
2 cups flour
1/2t salt
1.5t baking powder
4oz shredded cheddar)

Mix everything except cheese till it holds shape.
Add cheese and mix just enough to combine.
Drop spoonfuls onto baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
Brush with garlic butter while fresh out of the oven.

These are just as good later in the day, and warm up yummy the next morning. Not that they usually last that long....

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
White (Cheese) Lasanga

So totally NOT HEALTHY, but OMG really really good.....Someone once suggested that layering in slices of fresh tomato or the like would not only look cool but taste good, but I think its perfect the way it is. Cheese: if you want to be cheap and easy, grab at least 4 packages of pre-grated cheese. If you want it to be perfect buy the GOOD stuff that you have to cut or grate yourself, trust me its worth it. I usually go with mozzerella, white chedder, asiago, Parmesean, and whatever else catches my eye when I'm shopping for cheese. Noodles: I use the pre-cooked ones, the trick to making them taste right is to pre-soak them. Basically before I start the sauce I grab a spare pan, fill it with warm water and layer in the noodles. By the time I'm ready for them they've soaked up the water and are ready to go.

Makes two 8x8 pans (or one standard pan) of lasagna

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 Tbls. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1-32oz pkg ricotta cheese
lasagna noodles ( see above)
Cheese (see above)

-In a 1qt sauce pan heat the milk, pepper, garlic and salt, stirring constantly as mixture comes to a simmer, add the flour and stir till it thickens
-Refrigerate till cool (does not have to be cold, just not hot)
-Spread a THIN layer (as in barely there) of the ricotta cheese and a small amount of the milk sauce across the bottom of the pan
-Spread out first layer of noodles and then spread ricotta cheese then layer on a handful of each of the cheese, and a little milk sauce. Repeat pasta, cheese, sauce layering till pan is full
-On the top layer of noodles repeat cheese layering and pour the rest of the milk sauce on top
-Lightly cover with tinfoil (and I recommend layering some tinfoil on the bottom shelf of the oven under the pan in case the cheese bubbles over)
-Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour
-Remove from oven and loosen, but do not remove, the tinfoil
-Let set for at least 20 minutes before serving to allow cheese the set (or it’ll go gooey all over the bottom when you try to lift out a piece), I usually just sit it on top of the warm oven to set without going cold

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Depends on the recipe and how good you are at making adjustments on the fly.

I scoop the measure full and then use a knife to push off the extra unless the recipe specifiesotherwise.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Or measure by weight (one cup of flour weighs 4oz).

But things like the mollasses cookies recipe or the garlic buscuits recipe above are pretty forgiving and the scoop meathod works just fine.

For breads and bread type items measuring by weight or sifting might bebetter till you're more comfortable with it. And stuff like pasteries should always be sifted unless instructed otherwise.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Oh gosh, my Mother always said, "a cup is a pound the world round".

That's why I'm confused, and that's why my attempts to bake, are garbage worthy.

Thanks Ruth

1 - 20 of 88 Posts