Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Samuel was diagnosed with an enlarged heart, and a severe arrhythmia. We're still working on getting meds prescribed once we have a more accurate ekg reading. He hacks all night, as soon as he lays down. Poor guy can't sleep. For people, the solution would be propping up pillows so they're not laying flat. What can I do for my Samuel to give him some comfort while he's sleeping?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It might sound odd, but sometimes his diet might even help a little and give him some peace at night. Has your vet mentioned a low sodium diet or including fish oil into his diet? Its important to give your dog bottled or filtered water if he has heart disease (anytime really). Water softeners contain large amounts of sodium which is not good for your pup.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I assume the diagnosis of enlarged heart was from an x-ray? Did he have fluid in his chest, too (a very common complication of many forms of heart disease and easy to see on an x-ray). If so, it seems rather obvious that a diuretic would be in order to help clear that fluid and allow him to breathe more easily. Not sure what the delay in treatment is from?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts