Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some reasons as to why my 2 year old, 68 pound shepherd/hound mix would have stiffness in her legs. It hurts her to sit down and lay down. If she does lay down, she does it very slowly and looks uncomfortable. What could be wrong? Thank you

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
What are some reasons as to why my 2 year old, 68 pound shepherd/hound mix would have stiffness in her legs. It hurts her to sit down and lay down. If she does lay down, she does it very slowly and looks uncomfortable. What could be wrong? Thank you
I would go to the vet.

She may be young, but given that she's a bigger dog and a shepherd mix, it's still very possible that she's experiencing early onset arthritis or severe hip displaysia. Bad joints can affect dogs at a very young age.

The only way to know for sure is to see a vet and have an exam done, maybe do X-rays. They will figure out what it is and let you know what your options are.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
How long has she acted stiff or in pain? If over a week I would go to the vet,other wise could be just a sprain or muscle pull.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has been going on for about 3 or 4 days now. She is a very active dog and we always go to the dog park and on runs. I feel so bad for her. She just started limping about 20 mins ago. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow. But wanted to see if anyone had any kinda advice. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
good luck at the vet hopefully its nothing serious.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I grew up with a Labrador and she had hip dysplasia around the time she was 2-3 years old, so it happens. Fortunately if that's indeed what it is, the surgery can be very helpful (at least it was in my old dog's case). I hope this isn't something that needs surgery though. :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
DITTO the above, either the hips, arthiritis or could be a sprain

·
Registered
79 Posts
My best guess would be hips,if she's slow to stand/lay down. Hershey exhibited t the same symptoms and was diagnosed with HD at age 3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like it could be hip dysplasia, or hopefully something was only pulled. I would definatly go to the Vet on this one. My 5 month old was just diagnosed with HD. There are treatments for it, some a little more expensive than others. If you can, get a PennHip test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts